Halloween Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry I didn't mention this, but I didn't even end up using that brown stain! It was horrible.
This $35 bottle of dye is just staring at me from across the room, taunting me. It's like "hehehe you loser" but I will find a way to use it!
Hahaha.... Well, what you did looks great. There are layers of color and highlights, so it's all good.

I have some similar dyes and stains that don't wipe off even though they say they will. I've used them as base coats for things that got dry brushed later with lighter colors and they turned out well. (Although, I've not seen how they hold up under weather. This year will be their test of that. They just look good.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Going to try and bump this to see if Jaurhead will show Chuck in his finished incarnation. He's such a magnificent beast, it would be nice to see him on display if there are pictures of him out there.
Hello! I'm sorry I've been so absent. This whole haunt really burned me out for several reasons, so I took some time away from everything and anything Halloween. In that process I seemed to have forgotten my login credentials and couldn't get the password reset to work, so I created a new account.

One of the biggest regrets I have is the lack of photos I took for myself. Every haunter knows the struggle of trying to balance work and...not work. This, and the fact that I was contractually restricted from posting photos of ANYTHING I was working on for the duration of the build, explains the disappearance of little 'ol me throughout the Haunt season.

I'll post everything I have of Chuck here! Sadly, it isn't much...

Chuck made his debut at Twisted Tales Haunted House in El Segundo, CA and performed for 9 nights throughout October this year. He was the finale to our haunt and was operated by a blackout actor behind. I ended up bolting a 2x4 to the upper jaw to act as the push arm for the actor. The lower jaw had another 2x4 mounted from the bottom and hinged to the push arm. Heavy duty bungee cables propped up the lower jaw and gave it some minor "open and close" movement as the actor pushed him forward.

A track and hardware from a sliding pocket door kit were used to have the whole head move back and forth. It was bolted to a 4x4 that spanned the travel distance. Some lamp chain connected to 3 points on Chuck's head suspended it from the track. It held up wonderfully! We ended up knocking back the left wall another foot to avoid having the horns bump up against them. A Froggys Titan 1200 with Quick Blast juice shot fog up at guests from under the head - it was also scented with a "Midnight Forest" scent from Professor Mysterious. The actor pushing the dragon had a wireless remote for the fogger.

As guests rounded the corner into this scene, they tripped a motion sensor that triggered the sound effect (loaded onto a Picoboo) and the lighting effects (4x ColorPiano lights set to strobe white) that were powered by a 12v distribution box of my own making. The programmed scene lasted only a few seconds, but it was VERY loud.

People seemed to be either terrified or impressed with the effect. The actor said guests would try to trip the sensor again to see the whole thing in action, which is pretty neat :)

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,872 Posts
I am so sorry you got so burnt out... but judging from the amount of stuff you built and how amazing it all turned out - I can see why! You did some really awesome stuff and I imagine it was VERY time intensive in addition to actually RUNNING A FULL HAUNT! ;)

LOVE Chuck and I did not realize he was going to move... that makes him even more epic. :D

Also, if you'd like to get your original account back, you can post either in the site issues section:

or contact the site admin directly here: https://www.halloweenforum.com/members/halloweenadmin.70026/

They are lovely folks that should be able to get you back into your original account and merge this new one if you ask. It likely may take them a bit as it's right at the holidays and I have no idea their schedules/workloads, but it definitely couldn't hurt to ask and give them a week or so to see. . :)

·
Registered
939 Posts
You did the right thing by backing away. Whenever I feel that my haunt projects are becoming work, I back away from them for a time. When your project really is work, that makes it doubly hard to keep the spirit alive when the work load gets overbearing. You created a wonderful creature, though, and you have every right to be proud of your work. Thanks for posting what you have. I look forward to your old account showing back up in the future. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am so sorry you got so burnt out... but judging from the amount of stuff you built and how amazing it all turned out - I can see why! You did some really awesome stuff and I imagine it was VERY time intensive in addition to actually RUNNING A FULL HAUNT! ;)

LOVE Chuck and I did not realize he was going to move... that makes him even more epic. :D
Thank you so much, FG! It was an undertaking of a lifetime...I always read and hear about the time intensive nature of building a haunt, but getting to experience it was something else. The toll it takes on your life and those around you is no small matter. I will start a thread with a breakdown of just about everything I did for the 2019 Haunt. Better late than never, right?

You did the right thing by backing away. Whenever I feel that my haunt projects are becoming work, I back away from them for a time. When your project really is work, that makes it doubly hard to keep the spirit alive when the work load gets overbearing. You created a wonderful creature, though, and you have every right to be proud of your work. Thanks for posting what you have. I look forward to your old account showing back up in the future. :)
You're my #1 cheerleader, Chub. Thank you <3 Seeing other haunters here push through those down-times is an inspiration. Thank you so much for your kind words!

That is an incredible prop! You did an awesome job!
Thank you so much! It was a blast to make...but I wouldn't do it again :ROFLMAO: At least not for a couple of years. I hope Chuck lasts at least that long. He suffered some minor damage (broken horns, chipped teeth, smashed chin), but we can just chalk that up to normal dragon-associated wear and tear, right? LOL

41 - 51 of 51 Posts