Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
I've checked in a few times recently and was surprised at the lack of activity there. In the past, I've enoyed the food and drink discussions and sharing recipes and such, but this year it seems the only discussions are about blow molds and collecting. Where did everybody go?

·
Resident Potterhead
1,972 Posts
CFC is a pretty slow forum but it picks up a little bit closer to christmas. but you can always start a thread or jump in any discussion and i'll be glad to talk with you. i check back several times a day and none of the threads i post in get new replies... ever. im just not that big on blow molds and the only things i collect are the nutcrackers but what is there to say about that? "i bought another cheap chinese made nutcracker today, gibs me cookies?" nah... ill pass. lol

would love some active recipe discussions to jump in on.

same username there as here...

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a good question. I'm using Tapatalk. It won't let me post replies, or topics, because I have to have 3 posts. It thinks I'm posting a link. What do I do?

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
Am on both, was a little surprised by a few comments on CFC that they " Hate Halloween " . I don't think I've ever read anyone over here say a bad word about Christmas. Happy Merry Haunting Christmas all ;)

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
I'm not a fan of Christmas, but I do like to decorate, and so, I've been known to do something in the yard for Christmas.

Christmas of 2004 saw a "sleigh wreck" prop I had made.
Essentially, the back end of Santa's sleigh was seen jutting from wreckage on my roof (about 4 foot by 4 foot by 4 foot, made of foam).
I wish I had pictures, but all evidence has disappeared.

I do, however, have a wonderful Christmas poem I wrote, inspired by my "love" for the silly season that surrounds Christmas, the fact that Halloween Forum was offline that Christmas (for upgrades, if I recall correctly), and the sleigh wreck prop I had made.

Inspired by the fact the forum is going down Christmas Eve...

"T'was the night before Christmas,
and the forum was down,
Not a scream, howl or moan
could be heard in this town.

The children were bound,
Nice and tight in their beds.
With blindfolds and gags,
they were locked in their heads.

With the Mrs in leather,
as I was...for kicks,
We had just gotten funky
and were up to new tricks.

When out from the night
There arose such a screaming,
(and I knew for a fact
that I wasn't dreaming)

I lurched to the window,
for bindings are tight,
Shoved it wide open and
glared into the night.

I thought that I'd see
some drunk fool sprawled around,
so didn't look up,
and examined the ground.

Seeing nothing below,
I began to withdraw,
When I glanced up a bit,
and just dropped my jaw.

The moon on the breast,
of the reindeer I spied,
Did nothing to convince me
my brain wasn't fried.

The team was careening,
all over the sky,
And the overweight driver,
well...he couldn't fly!

As lightly as bricks,
they all suddenly fell,
and he screamed out their names
on their plummet to hell:

"Fly Dasher! Please Dancer!
You lead Prancer and Vixen...
I need you Comet and Cupid!
at least Donder and Blitzen!"

"We'll just be small splatters
If we hit as this rate!
Now fly damn you! Fly!
Or we all share this fate!"

Straight towards my rooftop,
his coursers they flew,
With the sleigh full of toys,
and poor St. Nick too!

I could see they weren't stopping
So I screamed at my wife,
"Run while you can,
It just might save your life!"

As she leapt from the bed,
and ran out of the room,
They entered our house,
through the roof, with a BOOM!

I knew chimneys were his way
of entering a place,
And was worried, when I saw
fresh blood on his face.

His sleigh was stuck halfway,
through our top story roof,
of the reindeer, I saw nothing
not even a hoof.

His bundle of toys lay
across his broad back,
and When he lifted his head,
We both heard a loud "crack"!

His eyes, they snapped open!
His dimples were sagging,
His cheeks had gone pale and
he had started gagging.

His once droll mouth was
stretched out with great pain,
and the blood mixed with his
white beard to make a red stain.

His pipe had been snapped
by his teeth in the crash,
as the bowl spun on past him
he burned with hot ash.

He had a wide face,
and was pinned on his belly,
which was beginning to spasm,
like earthquake-moved jelly.

He was hurt pretty bad,
I could see right away,
He was bleeding inside,
and would not last 'til day!

I asked what had happened,
and he began to explain,
then he coughed, and he gagged,
and he shouted in pain!

"You dumb little F***!"
Boy! Santa could SWEAR!
"You left pumpkins out,
where they were seen from the air!"

"My deer missed their feeding,
before we had to go,"
"They just wanted to eat,
and saw pumpkins below."

"So they aimed for your house,
to grab a quick snack."
"I fought all the way,
and crashed into your shack."

"What in hell possessed you,
to leave pumpkins out there?"
"Are you some kind of freak
for some Halloween fare!?!"

I grinned at his words, well
I knew he was right,
And his face went quite pale,
as he realized his plight.

For Jolly St Nick would
become my next prop,
I'd leave his sleigh jammed
through my roof out the top.

His deer will be venison,
Why waste good game flesh?
His red and white suit will
become something fresh.

You'd think Santa's death
would make Christmas quite small,
But it hasn't been noticed,
Just look at the mall.

Merry Christmas...

·
Resident Potterhead
1,972 Posts
I don't get it, what's not to like about a holiday. We love them all:)
i dont know. probably how commercialized its been made... but that doesnt stop me from loving it.

now after christmas holidays can bite it. i hate all of them until labor day... with the exception of july 4th and i only like that because parades, bbq's and fireworks. new years, valentines, easter, st patricks.. and everything in between and after... i just really dont like those holidays. i celebrate in my own ways but i dont get excited about them and i dont decorate. i just eat my meals and move on. now when kids come along easter might be fun again... but until then.. its pretty lame lol

·
The Duke of Spook
1,976 Posts
I have probably said bad things about xmas. I would not be surprised at all.

I decorate for it though. Begrudgingly so, but I do it.

Sometimes when there is a roaring fire in the fireplace, xmas lights on, good smells in the air, Dean Martin crooning away on the speakers, it's snowing out, and I'm drunk... I get a little festive. :D

Other times, if I can focus on trying to remember the magic the holiday had when I was a kid, remember my grandmother, remember being a happy family, getting the toys I wanted, then I can smile about it.

·
Registered
888 Posts
i'm on there also as hallowmas and signed up for the card exchange, as i got a late start on the card exchange here:eek:

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
Me too, the Christmas magic is in children's eyes on Christmas morning.
I have probably said bad things about xmas. I would not be surprised at all.

I decorate for it though. Begrudgingly so, but I do it.

Sometimes when there is a roaring fire in the fireplace, xmas lights on, good smells in the air, Dean Martin crooning away on the speakers, it's snowing out, and I'm drunk... I get a little festive. :D

Other times, if I can focus on trying to remember the magic the holiday had when I was a kid, remember my grandmother, remember being a happy family, getting the toys I wanted, then I can smile about it.

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
Am on both, was a little surprised by a few comments on CFC that they " Hate Halloween " . I don't think I've ever read anyone over here say a bad word about Christmas. Happy Merry Haunting Christmas all ;)
Billy, I am pretty sure I know who made any comments about halloween over there. They are not very active though, thankfully. However I think you are probably aware that the majority of our CFC active members are also HF members, and love BOTH holidays. And I have seen several remarks on here making fun of people who "do" christmas. Some people just have a need to bash.

Please be careful not to make any hurtful comments about CFC as that is also Larry's web site. It is indeed a great forum with some of the warmest and most caring people you will ever hang with. No, it is not as active as HF, for a lot of reasons. In general Halloween decorating just seems to generate more activity because of the intensity. Think about it.

For Christmas you put up lights and outdoor decorations, which may be store bought or home made props like we do on here for Halloween. However, your display is viewed pretty much from 10-15 feet away as people walk or drive by your house. We tend to keep it less detail oriented and most people actually put up the same display every year.

For Halloween many of us have people to walk through our display, or allow close up inspection of it. Because of this we put a lot more detailed work into our props and change our display a lot each year. We also make a lot more of our own stuff. Since we have more stuff to show off on here it makes the forum more active. And since our props are more inclined to involve electronics many of us have questions we post on here, as well as asking for input on themes, etc.

If any of you build a lot of your own Christmas props, like I do, we would LOVE to have you come show off your ideas. Or if you do a really cool light display. And yep, we can always use some more great recipes or really cool food suggestions.

We do a prop challenge around March, gift exchange in July, card and ornament exchange in November.

For those of you with posting issues, if you go on to the forum and send me (same user name) or larry a PM and let us know what the problem is we can fix it for you. Don't give up on us. :) And we have been really excited to see so many HF members over there this month.

·
Resident Potterhead
1,972 Posts
i joined last year just for the simple fact that i love christmas and wanted fellow christmas enthusiasts to chat with about our shared love for the holiday. so prop builders or not should join if they love christmas. because there is someone for everyone to talk to. im just a basic decorater (few lights outside and santa pukes all over my living room inside) but there are several people who do big yard displays every year.

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
Mariposa is right. If you are strictly an indoor decorator or just do a small outdoor display we would still love to have you join. Anyone who loves Christmas should be there right now. And we will welcome you with open arms.

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
Well, we had a mad rush over at CFC and now have several new members from here. AND THEY LOVE IT!! So many shiny things, bright things, sparkly things, things that ring and things that bling, and things that go round and round. Very much fun. And you guys are all missing it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts