Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In an effort to drain every dime from the consumer Walmart, Home Depot and other major stores are transitioning to Christmas as early as Oct 3rd to make a quick buck. Give me a break. Last year most retailers opened at midnight the day after Thanksgiving fearing they would miss out on sales. Every year the Christmas stuff gets pushed further and further back. Next year they will have the trees up the day after the 4th of July. Personally it makes me sick. It kinda takes the special feeling out of Christmas and Halloween for that matter when these corporate idiots are putting out the decorations this early. And the corporations are aware that this may come back to haunt them if the public get burnt out and they face a backlash. Just imagine hearing jingle bells while you shop for your costume.

Personally I'm going on strike. I am not buying **** this year. No lights, presents,nothing. If I have to I'll make someone a present but I'm not buying it. Maybe a good zombie head or two would be nice. And I heard on TV good consumers should buy to support the mess on Wallstreet. Not a chance!

·
~zombie hunter~
3,346 Posts
Yea so I agree. I mean I was at walmat the other day back by the garden center they have at least 6 aisles that are all going to be christmas. I was like what the fudge. They have all there end caps done but come one it was october 2nd!

Halloween was cut again this year at walmart. They hardley have any props at all. Yet when christmas comes around, they can have aisles and aisles up. I mean christmas is the most controverstial holiday because not all winter celebrents (like kwanza, chaunukca) beilve in the same thing.

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,681 Posts
My HD didn't even bother with halloween & Lowes had a couple of things out,but saw the xmas stuff out & all the halloween stuff gone..........
& the look i got when i asked were all the halloween stuff is,i looked back & said xmas stuff oct 1st....& i'm the crazy one !!??
Maybe they should just cut to the chase & leave xmas up all year....... :mad:

·
Foolish Mortal
772 Posts
I think going on strike at Christmas is the ONLY thing that will ever bring back the spirit of Christmas. Because sometimes I think of Christmas gifts as one large bill due at the end of the year. And that certainly takes the fun out of the decorating. With the HUGE amount of Christmas stuff I have seen stores stocking this year, you would not know that we are in a financial crisis. I know they want us all to go out and spend our money on things to help Wall Street but this year I'm keeping my money in my pocket where it will do ME good.

·
Registered
214 Posts
We went to Big Lots yesterday and the Christmas trees were in the lobby! UGH! Of course, my kids were excited, but I hate that. By the real thing(post Thanksgiving), they will be tired of Christmas. I enjoy Christmas as much as Halloween. I just want to enjoy each holiday before they press the next on me. I realize they can't wait until T'giving night to put everything up, but really Oct.1st. Come on!

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
Very true! i've been seeing christmas items in stores for months already. I thjink everyone should boycott materialistic Christmas. I am buying presents this year, but only one small thing per person. And it's going to have something to do with the REAL meaning of Christmas. No new Christmas decorations this year for me either. Won't be able to afford them anyways once the taxes are raised thanks to the bailout.

As for people who don't celebrate christmas, they have no reason to complain! They shouldn't be offended by somethign they don't practice. I know im not gonna have a fit when my friend won't eat pepperoni on his pizza because he's muslim.

Leave Christmas up all year?! Don't give them anymore ideas!!!

·
...is up to no good
1,295 Posts
Well...I'm a definite Nov1 Christmas person, but each year I grow wearier with the stuff put out for Christmas before Halloween. I figure by the time I'm a senior citizen that they'll just have Christmas stuff up year round.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes Creepy it is our catalog. Hope you like it. I look forward to no Credit Card debt at the end of this year. Means more for Halloween the next year. Halloween is a 6 billion dollar industry. Most retailers make 20% of their profit from Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Why cut Halloween so quick and move to Christmas. I went to Spirit Halloween on Oct 2nd(Yes I do go check out the competition) and they had all of their animatronics $50 off already. I saw Michael's was putting all their stuff on sale too.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
i am totally against seing an holiday in a store when the other one is not done yet , here their is so little halloween items as it is but this year the christmas things have been out for 1 to 2 weeks now what the heck ??????????? even the dollar stores this year got the christmas things all up same time as the halloween stuff . ....

but then again when you look at it from the otherside of the medal for people that love christmas like we love halloween those people are happy like us with halloween stuff out in july august , you guys in the usa this year got halloween early in alot of places .

still each holiday their own time , christmas is a season well halloween is a season too ;)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Spirit Halloween stores already have high prices already, so it's not a big deal if they are $50 off. Micheal's has that 40% off one item anyway, so again it's not a huge deal.

The thing I think is that summer merchandise has huge sections of stuff. You have lawn chairs, sprinklers, and everything you need for the garden. You might have suntan lotion, and swimming stuff also. So, I kind of feel that they have a reason to put up Halloween and Christmas stuff at the same time because those sections are just so darn big.

I think when the Halloween stuff is gone, than they might put shovels, and ice.

I think these stores have enough stuff. I just think that some of the Halloween stuff isn't good, but some of the stuff is great in my opinion also. The only place I was disappointed in with Halloween merchandise is Lowe's. They still have some animatronics, but they could have put a whole aisle of Halloween stuff because all they had in that aisle were containers. Who needs containers? You could just keep them for next year to sell in Jan, Feb, March, and so on.

·
The Evil Spectre
1,220 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly with A Witch From Canada... one holiday should be over before the retail community puts out decorations for the next holiday... with maybe the exception of Thanksgiving and Christmas...

Our Dollar stores have up a half an aisle of Halloween decorations now, and half of that aisle is candy...but 3 center aisles of Christmas... unbelievable.

I was going to start a thread about this today, but I'll do it here. I walked into Hobby Lobby today to pick up some craft stuff for a class project. Again, 1 aisle if a mixture of Halloween and Harvest decorations, and 4 aisles of Christmas... but what made me sick... listening to an instrumental song of Noel and Little Drummer Boy....

Too bad we all can't bond together and come up with some kind of petition or complaint form and send it to the major retailers about giving Halloween it's due respect, and threatening a boycott of the major chain stores.... one simple e-mail to a retailer won't make a bit of difference.

·
...is up to no good
1,295 Posts
There are people who complain about how early the Halloween stuff goes up each year too though. I imagine the Christmas nuts (which I am, but AFTER Halloween and only secondarily to my beloved Halloween) are super excited to see it all beginning to go out at the stores.

·
Haverghast Asylum warden.
799 Posts
Every year in october I pick something out of the christmas section, bring it home, and gut it into something for halloween. Be it christmas lites, animated raindeer ect. At right they have a snow man holding an electric count down clock for christmas. If I had a $60 too spare I would by it. take the snow man off, put a monster in it's place, and have it count down days till halloween. Oh and I would leave it out all year:D I can't find a pic of it, but rite aid has them.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Halloween stuff did not get out any earlier this year than last in my area. I'm not sure about the rest of the country but they were put out around the same time.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Another way to fight back is to do Halloween for Xmas!

Nightmare Before Xmas has some great starting points for yard ideas.

And how about bats, ghouls and zombie parts on the Yule tree? Had goth friends (and for awhile my husband as well) who would decorate their yule tree this way and used a circular saw blade "star" on top, lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts