Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've a new Christmas tradition!!
Dress up as a demon and terrorize children! Oh yeah!
:)

While Saint Nicholas may bring gifts to good boys and girls, ancient folklore in Europe's Alpine region also tells of Krampus, a frightening beast-like creature who emerges during the Yule season, looking for naughty children to punish in horrible ways -- or possibly to drag back to his lair in a sack. In keeping with pre-Germanic Pagan traditions, men dressed as these demons have been frightening children on Krampusnacht for centuries, chasing them and hitting them with sticks, on an (often alcohol-fueled) run through the dark streets..

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2013/12/krampus-saint-nicholas-dark-companion/100639/

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
Have to laugh. This was the first year I had heard of the term Krampus. Now it is popping up all over. First was the Krampus on Grimm, then a mention on CSI last week, then tonight's mention on NCIS: LA. At least I knew what it was! Hubby said it was the Grinch and Grinch probably did qualify as one. The things I learn from participating on this forum beyond halloween. LOL.

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,278 Posts
Have to laugh. This was the first year I had heard of the term Krampus. Now it is popping up all over. First was the Krampus on Grimm, then a mention on CSI last week, then tonight's mention on NCIS: LA. At least I knew what it was! Hubby said it was the Grinch and Grinch probably did qualify as one. The things I learn from participating on this forum beyond halloween. LOL.
Same here. I'd never heard of Krampus before this year. This forum really should be labeled as an educational forum. :D:D:D

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Every fact or personal experience out there can be seen as educational, if we give those things even the slightest amount of our thought.
your brain is too full? Well,Lucky you!
Mine will never get full .. because it .. leaks. (And you thought I was going to be bragging about how much capacity I had or something?)
No.. it's a "Leaker!"

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Well, Yes! I have always laughed long and often here. I do stifle that laughter if it might be making a customer upset and then laugh after they are back down the road.
Most of everyone's laughter is all right and fun and much more spontaneous than not.
I have often admitted that I do have the best "Job" in the world. I love coming up with new ideas and doing them, I love entertaining the people who come through the house.
I do get tired of mowing grass, cutting weeds and vines and shoveling snow, chipping ice from the sidewalk but I try to look at these things as simply some of the exercise that keeps me going..which it IS, so , "Oh, Well!?"

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Oh Noes, not the Krampus!

Seriously, there is so much more horror to Halloween than just sticking to the most popular horrific fragment of it.

Repeated below is a previous post I made elsewhere in the forum regarding the other horrors associated with Christmas.

Krampus is just the tip of the iceberg for Christmas Evil. Santa used to hang with a mean crowd.

While Krampus operated on his own to steal and eat bad children, Santa toured with a regular entourage, which include Zwarte Piet, who also spirited away bad children in a sack.

Santa also hung with Knecht Ruprecht, who would beat children with a sack full of ash and coal if they hadn't learned how to pray.

Pere Fouttard (aka the whipping father) flogged bad children with whips and chains.

Iceland has Gryla the Christmas Ogress who also feasts on children and has an entire entourage of her own as well.

Belsnickel is another of Santa's pals, a hobo of sorts who travels around about 2 weeks before Christmas in an attempt to beat bad children with a switch in a sort of last ditch effort to correct bad behavior and make good children of them before Christmas arrives.

Then there is Frau Berchta, who arrives after Christmas and sneaks into your home to leave change for good children and murder the bad ones in their beds as they sleep, by slitting open their bellies and stuffing them full of straw and stones.

And Japan long ago attached its Namahage (New Year's Demon) to Christmas as well.

The elves and reindeer that everyone knows, they're just the tiniest tip of the iceberg. Kids today have it easy, not knowing the perils that lurked for them when the yuletide season comes calling.
And now you've gotten some serious horror themed Christmas education out of this thread.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
There's some great video on YouTube featuring Krampus and the folks who work in it during the celebration.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts