Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought some Easter clearance candy to add to treat bags. I know from experience that candies like Skittles, hard gummies, Sweet Tarts, Jolly Ranchers and Nerds have a long shelf life if kept properly.

Right now, Sam's Club is running a promotion for Pepsico products. Buy $50 of a select group of products and get a $25 gift card. So I am wondering... How long will a 50 count box of chips stay fresh??? I buy a box or two of Frito Lay or Dorito brand snack bags every year for Halloween.

The promo runs until May 4th - so we're talkin' six months. Would they go stale? Halloween is the only time I ever buy chips and I don't eat them myself. So I have no clue about shelf life. I know that pop corn based things like Cracker Jacks don't last very long on the shelf - but have no idea about Doritos and corn chips.

Anybody know?.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Considering those will probably have a "Best By" date that will be expired by Halloween, might not be a good idea.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. That's what I suspected. I don't eat chips- but know that Pringles last a very long time... and popcorn is often DOA. Picked up Fun Dips candy yesterday- and the expiration date was 2019!

·
Registered
247 Posts
My wife had a bag of chips that went bad...worse taste she ever tasted. She turns to me and says "Try this..."
She nearly choked on the rest of the chip she had in her mouth as she started laughing that I tried it. It was horrible and I spit it out.
(fyi - it had not reached the Best By Date yet)

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BLEEECHHHH- Chips gone bad!

I know those well-ripened Tootsie Pops CAN become a little jaw-challenging.

Only once did I ever get truly stale candy - at Costco of all places! I purposely bought three boxes of Baby Ruth/Butterfinger/PayDay(?) 30 count full-sized bars. I chose that combo since I don't like any of those and so it was easy to not eat any before Halloween. BIG MISTAKE! It wasn't until AFTER trick-or-treat that I finally tried a left-over bar and nearly broke a tooth. I was SOOOO embarrassed.

Now- I make sure to try everything well before TOT night. Of course that means having to buy MUCH more candy! ;)

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,773 Posts
All chips, pretzels & snacks like that have a short shelf life. In fact most of those type of snacks are made within a pretty close radius of where they're bought.

I just checked my unopened pretzels that I bought a couple weeks ago & the "best by" date on them is July 7, 2018 so anything you'd buy now, even unopened, wouldn't last until Halloween.

Pringles are the Velveeta of chips, they're a "potato product" & not a "real" potato chip. They're mostly other stuff, rice, wheat, corn, etc. & very little actual potato Which is why they have a longer shelf life. It's actually pretty interesting how they're made.

I'd say if you want to buy chips for Halloween you should wait until August or September if not October.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
I often buy in bulk on Amazon, not because I need the bulk, but because with some things you have to buy a case of something in order to get a deal on it, and countless times I’ve had things go stale on me because they weren’t eaten quick enough. I can say for certainty that chips will likely be stale in 6 months!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts