Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know its a long shot but does anyone know of a way to get a chipping or peeling paint effect? i've seen a cracked paint faux finish in paint stores but im looking for something a little more like in these pictures:

i figured if anyone knew it would be you guys. i dont know of anywhere else to find people that would enjoy making something that looks as horrible as these pictures do :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
My thought would be to use a non-stick spray on the wall in the areas you want it to peal prior to painting. Then after drying take a putty knife and it should chip away. Maybe Pam cooking spray would work?
That first picture looks like a piece of new drywall that hasn't been prep'd properly prior to painting. It's happened on some of my walls in my house in areas that weren't primed although only in small areas.

The 4th pic down (the green room) looks like you may get the same effect by wiping a layer of paint remover over the wall. Doesn't that stuff cause the paint to bubble and lift up off the wall?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ah ya. great ideas. ill give a few of em a try n let u know wat kinda results i get :) thanks so much.

pam, wax, and paint remover seem like they will definitely work to at least get similar results. ooh im excited to try it out now...

·
Registered
291 Posts
where are you wanting to put this effect? Is it going to be seen in bright light or in a really dimly lit hall in a haunt? How big an area are you wanting to do?

·
Registered
910 Posts
I would use paint stripper, the chemical kind. As soon as you brush the stuff onto a painted surface, the paint starts curling like in some of your pix. Give it a try and tell me if i'm wrong. Just brush it on full strength in spots or all over. Scrape some of the curdled paint away and leave the bulk of it on. You should get this effect. I've been using this stuff for years (many different brands) but i scrape all of the paint off when it is still soft. I have left small projects for two long and have had the paint sort of "curdle" and bubble.....looks aged and neglected.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh wow. ya that is what im looking for then. hm. almost seems too easey :)

we are trying to go for an abandoned asylum look in one section of our haunt. these pictures are what i found when i was searching for inspiration. the area we will be doing is a hallway and 2 small rooms (cells) totalling an area of about 40' by 20' it will be dimly lit until our "alarm" goes off, which is basically a red police beacon.

now i just gotta find a way to keep the peeled paint from flaking off entirely. maybe a laquer coat? part of the area will be accessible to the tot's. im not too worried about the walls but im sure people wont want flaky paint all over their clothes lol.

thanks so much for the great input :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts