Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
Ive already made my little children from children of the corn but wondering if you all had ideas on where to buy corn stalks. Most places sell these skimpy looking ones...i dont have tools to make them...Ive called farms....any ideas and costs?
thanks..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Not sure about where you live but I get my stalks at small farms that either already picked the corn or they just want someone to chop it down and get rid of it. I always get it for free too! Also, if you do find stalks, 2 thick wires on rebar, and then smaller wire to attach them to make a wall.

·
Registered
417 Posts
If you buy them from a decorating place, they are $$$. A couple cheaper options are to look for a Stiltbeast video on making them. The end product is pretty decent but looked really time consuming. The only tools you need are a heat gun and hot glue gun, I think. Alternatively, ever see those tall grasses in a marsh or wetland? Those can help bulk up actual corn stalks. If you had a bundle of 12 cornstalks that is nice looking, but you can also take 3 cornstalks and add in a ton of the feather grass (pampas grass) and it will look pretty close. You just need to know someone with that kind of grass who will let you have some - in my state wetlands are protected so that's a no-go.

Best bet is to find a farmer who will let you harvest some from the edge of the field or where they were dropped by the tractor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everyone, that was my first idea, but wasnt sure about asking farmers for freebies given the time we're all in now. Im in NorCal with all sorts of fun things going on on top of covid. Both local farms that ive called just wont pick up although one is still doing a pumpkin patch so i'll try them at an earlier time perhaps. yes i saw that video on making them but its super time consuming. I will try the farm route...thanks guys!

·
Registered
417 Posts
They DO look super time consuming. I wanted to do a haunted pumpkin patch and thought some corn stalks would add to the ambiance. I watched the videos, and I think in one of them someone said that when they get together with friends they can bang out 30 of these in an evening.

Say what? 30 cornstalks? So each person is getting like 6 done in 3 hours? And you need how many to have nice fluffy bundles of corn stalks? Oof - I decided to focus on other things and leave that for my retirement project :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exactly!! That caught my ears too! I have young kids at home. They won’t leave me alone for more than a bathroom break. It did look like just one stalk took over an hour. But yes...when I retire!
Good news I finally found a farmer who is growing and selling them. I hope it’s true..I’ll find out next week. Getting antsy bc I like my stuff done 1-2 weeks before Oct 1. But I’m always happy to test things out in September Just to piss off my hoa. Maybe I can stick one of my “children“ out there. Next thing is making a sickle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts