Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok.

If you've followed the Pumpkin Patch threads the last couple years, you've probably seen the Cheyenne Bush Pumpkin be discussed several times.

However, it is SUPREMELY DIFFICULT to find seeds.

Supposedly grow more like a Zuchinni (spelling) bush, but pop out carving size pumpkins. This would make them ideal for a lot of us who either want to pack many plants in (me) or have limited space.

With all the seed magazines now making the rounds, and all major seed sites now updated for 2016, it was time to look for them. I have 2 potential sources this year, and have decided I'm going to go for it.

WOULD ANYONE ELSE BE INTERESTED IN SOME SEEDS? I'll happily buy a bunch and ship them around.

The first source on the seeds should be no problem, but it's a ma and pa, and I can't tell if they're updated for 2016 or not. I'll be calling them later this week.

THE SECOND SOURCE....

Would any Canadian friends be interested in lending me a hand acquiring some seeds? I know it's usually our Canadian friends asking for help to ship things North...

(I've checked, it's LEGAL to ship them across the border, in fact both sites are Canadian, but the second site DOESN'T.)

·
Registered
456 Posts
We tried growing pumpkins last year. I forget when exactly, but we started with both seeds and plants that already had some growth. We ended up with one bumpy yellow squash----one. The plant we bought thinking it was a pumpkin turned out to be a squash plant, the seeds grew well and we got some blossoms. The blossoms didnt develop into pimpkins, and after a while the ends of the vines started to yellow and die. We grew them in four foot long by 6 or so inch deep planters. We still have some seeds and will probably try again after some serious research. I would love to try those seeds you are talking about, but I'm afraid they would come to a bad end. Turns out gardening isnt as easy as planting a few seeds in potting soil watering kind of regularly and waiting for a bumper crop lol

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,585 Posts
McBernes, I'm not sure 6 inches is enough soil depth for a pumpkin plant. To give some examples: I grow a mini JBL or WBL pumpkin plant in a smaller half barrel planter or a pot that is at least 16 inches in diameter and about 20 inches or so deep, at least. For larger pumpkins in a container, I have seen people use baby pools, large Rubbermaid storage bins, ect. I'm not sure how much you know about growing pumpkins, but the flowers you saw that didn't develop pumpkins may have been the male pumpkins. Only the females, which develop a couple weeks or so after the first males, are the ones with baby pumpkins at their base. When the 2016 Pumpkin Patch Thread gets started...probably soon, here, you should check it out...or go back to last years and read through it for tips (if you haven't already been a part of that thread, anyway, lol.)

UnOrthodOx, I was one who was interested in the Cheyenne Bush seeds...wondering how they would fit in my little garden area. Hmmm...keep us posted if you get any. Not sure what I am doing this year, yet, but maybe one of those could be a possibility...was just thinking of doing more Triple Treats and going back to JBLs...

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Hmmm. Does that variety play well with amateur gardeners?

Last year a packet of seeds yielded ONE pumpkin. But she was a such a beauty! Pureed and froze the meat and made salted cayenne pumpkin seeds. Maybe this year I could manage to grow two pumpkins.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Based on my and neighbors experience if you want a lot of pumpkins you are gonna have to buy them, In a small patch a 1 or 2 pumpkin yield seems about max.
It's a shame really as you drive around after Halloween and see dozens and dozens still in the fields going to waste.

·
Super Moderator
5,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
McBernes, I'm not sure 6 inches is enough soil depth for a pumpkin plant. To give some examples: I grow a mini JBL or WBL pumpkin plant in a smaller half barrel planter or a pot that is at least 16 inches in diameter and about 20 inches or so deep, at least. For larger pumpkins in a container, I have seen people use baby pools, large Rubbermaid storage bins, ect. I'm not sure how much you know about growing pumpkins, but the flowers you saw that didn't develop pumpkins may have been the male pumpkins. Only the females, which develop a couple weeks or so after the first males, are the ones with baby pumpkins at their base. When the 2016 Pumpkin Patch Thread gets started...probably soon, here, you should check it out...or go back to last years and read through it for tips (if you haven't already been a part of that thread, anyway, lol.)

UnOrthodOx, I was one who was interested in the Cheyenne Bush seeds...wondering how they would fit in my little garden area. Hmmm...keep us posted if you get any. Not sure what I am doing this year, yet, but maybe one of those could be a possibility...was just thinking of doing more Triple Treats and going back to JBLs...
I actually DID finally get them this week.

I was getting worried as there was absolutely no communication from the source, but I figured I was only risking $10 at the time.

So, if you're still interested, I have a confirmed source that will ship to the US. (takes a couple weeks to get them though)

http://www.cottagegardener.com/about-us/

·
Super Moderator
5,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hmmm. Does that variety play well with amateur gardeners?

Last year a packet of seeds yielded ONE pumpkin. But she was a such a beauty! Pureed and froze the meat and made salted cayenne pumpkin seeds. Maybe this year I could manage to grow two pumpkins.
I've had no experience with the variety yet, as it's been so hard to find. However, usually, lack of pumpkins boils down to 2 factors: Lack of good soil/fertilizer or lack of water. Pumpkins are voracious 'eaters' and need plenty of fertilizer/mulch/nutrients. I'd strongly recommend a regular application of fish emulsion fertilizer if you try again. However, some varieties are heat sensitive and won't produce in heat (100ish temps), so that may have been your problem?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts