1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Advice from those who restore porcelain dolls please

I absolutely love the Countess in the katherine collection at grandin road

countess2.jpg

BUT, I just can't drop $600 on a 3d portrait, so I have been thinking about trying to replicate a similar version myself.

Any advice on what glue works the best to fix her hair into a style i like?
Would hot glue work, or is there a better glue?
Here she is (already looking much better) after just removing her hat & putting her hair into a braid. I need to glue some of the pieces of hair into place to keep the look.

Any advice about painting the porcelain from anyone who has tried to before would be great!! I can use any tips/tricks of the trade :) Can I use regular acrylic craft paint, or is there something better?

Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I;m not really an artist, so this paint job/transformation took me about 3 hours. I know it's no Countess, but I LOVE how she turned out!!
far.jpg

close.jpg

I already scored a beautiful silver platter at an estate sale for $1 previously, so I will work on attaching her to it & adding spooky decor to the frame and more to her dress & hair

Really can't beat less than $2 to recreate a $700 piece of artwork :)

Attachments

·
Registered
239 Posts
i would think that some kind of glass paint would work best, but since it's already been painted once, acrylics might be fine.

i'd test on her feet, if they're porcelain as well, since the portrait stops at the waist.

·
The Cackling Cauldron
1,305 Posts
The is wonderful!
I am loving your progress with this one and may have to give it a go on the Countess too!

I love those portrait items The Holiday Barn too and am in the process of gathering items for the Lord Blackmoore piece.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love those portrait items The Holiday Barn too and am in the process of gathering items for the Lord Blackmoore piece.
oooh, I can't wait to see your Lord Blackmoore!! Are you going to sculpt the face? I have no abilities in doing that type of project, but I have been keeping my eye out for creepy male dolls I might be able to convert too!!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I absolutely love this. Last year I used a couple hundred dolls in my display. I gave most to a local haunt, but kept about 70 that I was hoping to play with. I love this idea. I'll have to give it a try. Always on the lookout for more doll ideas. May I please post this on my Pinterest page, giving you credit of course. I never post without asking. If you say no that's perfectly fine too. Love your work.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I May I please post this on my Pinterest page, giving you credit of course. I never post without asking. If you say no that's perfectly fine too. Love your work.
OF course you can :) I didn't come up with the idea, just recreated something I liked (and couldn't afford). That's so nice of you to say!! Pin away!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very nicely done! If I may ask, how did you get her attached to the platter?
Sure thing, I actually had to cut her legs off about halfway down (about at the knee)..then I drilled a couple of holes in the platter and zip tied her to it with heavy duty black zip ties. There is one around her torso at lower hip level and one at an angle across each leg, (starting from in between the leg and going up/out towards the hip)...this allows her to be secure to the platter but still lean forward a bit to give her that 3D and reaching effect :)

I also made another one, I will post her [email protected]

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, Here is the 2nd vampiress 3D doll portrait I made. She is a more regal doll. I put her hair in an updo, added some white hair coloring on the sides, painted her face, added her necklace & skull on chain in her hand, and added the skulls and crossbones to the edge of the platter. She was a little more pricey, as she was a brand new in box collectors' doll (purchased from the Goodwill)...so I believe her total cost with doll, accessories, epoxy & platter came to a little under $25

My pictures are coming out a little on the golden side because of the lighting in my house tonight, but the platter is actually silver like the other

14212788_633817494517_3553274805568549413_n.jpg

14232593_633817449607_2379272539320537128_n.jpg

14238117_633817529447_5009918996002306546_n.jpg

14238346_633817404697_8044080106591047227_n.jpg

The attached pic at the bottom is more of the correct coloring, but while she was still a WIP :)

Attachments

·
The Cackling Cauldron
1,305 Posts
Ok, Here is the 2nd vampiress 3D doll portrait I made. She is a more regal doll. I put her hair in an updo, added some white hair coloring on the sides, painted her face, added her necklace & skull on chain in her hand, and added the skulls and crossbones to the edge of the platter. She was a little more pricey, as she was a brand new in box collectors' doll (purchased from the Goodwill)...so I believe her total cost with doll, accessories, epoxy & platter came to a little under $25

My pictures are coming out a little on the golden side because of the lighting in my house tonight, but the platter is actually silver like the other

View attachment 311186

View attachment 311194

View attachment 311202

View attachment 311210
Oh my gosh!! I LOVE these Tzgirls. those little vamp girls turned out so great and the display you have for them together is awesome!!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts