Halloween Forum banner

101 - 116 of 116 Posts

·
Look behind you
1,316 Posts
These are so cool! I hope I get a chance to make some. Thanks for sharing with us. :eek:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Uh ya...and if you actually read the first part of this thread you'd see that I used watered down school glue to adhere the cloth. And was asked to see how they would hold up outside...thus the results.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
I started off using a hook from the ceiling and fishing line but I wanted to attach one to an oscillating fan so it would go up and down so I ended up replacing the hook with a tiny pulley to reduce drag. I've yet to rig it up because I had a baby 4 days ago so I'm hoping to find some time this weekend

·
Margarita Goddess
5,440 Posts
I started off using a hook from the ceiling and fishing line but I wanted to attach one to an oscillating fan so it would go up and down so I ended up replacing the hook with a tiny pulley to reduce drag. I've yet to rig it up because I had a baby 4 days ago so I'm hoping to find some time this weekend
Congratulations!! Take some time & enjoy that new baby. Time flies all too quickly. ;)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
For waterproofing, I wonder if that new NeverWet stuff would work? If not, maybe good ol' PolyCrylic?
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH such a good idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why didnt I think of that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'm going to create a couple of these. I already have the styrofoam heads and the cheese cloth lying around. Thanks for sharing the idea.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I figured out something cool to do with this idea.
1. Instead of using a wig head, use a blow mold skull.
2. Take a mooing, flying ghost, and remove the cloth.
3. Using the uncovered ghost, trace a circle at the bottom of the skull, and cut it out.
Cut a hole in the top of the skull, and in the cheesecloth.
4. Pull the ghost miter through, and leave uncovered. You'll need to get to the power switch and batteries.
Did that 2 yrs ago with an aborted prop thread (newbs shouldn't open tut's, my 2011 self included :p ). Spreading out the cheesecloth with coat hanger arms created a significant drag issue for the small motor, to the point that oftentimes it couldn't turn itself around, so this year I clipped them off. It looks a little sad as a skull with cloth hanging off, but I think still creepy.
With "arms" last year: http://i.imgur.com/EpVsTSo.jpg
Without: http://i.imgur.com/zLijXqE.jpg

(important to remember when I say "arms" I don't mean the ones that come on some models of the fly-and-moo, but a coat hanger attached to a fly-and-moo with no native arms)

Pretty cool! I guess I never paid enough attention to the MS directions. I always just said "Oh, I have a cheesecloth ghost" and didn't bother to read that they were stand-alone, and that you were supposed to be able to remove the head.
The original plans make no mention of removing the heads: http://www.marthastewart.com/858108/cheesecloth-spirits

Has anyone tried the black light bulbs that screw into any fixture? Do they work?
I use screw-in Black light halogens in my porch lights and they work very well.

What did you hang these up with?
A screw eye and fishing line.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Did anyone ever have any luck weatherproofing these? I would love to do this but, the weather here is often wet in October. I was thinking maybe a different glue or just shoot the whole thing with a clear varnish when it is done. Not sure what is best.

·
Registered
36 Posts
shinytoydragon as far as I know, nobody has found a way to savage the head form. Here is a link where you can get them relatively cheep.

http://www.displayimporter.com/Less-Than-Perfect-Items/

I did a couple this week and used a water resistant wood glue. The glue dried a "natural" color. Not sure if I will paint them white or leave as is. The way the glue dripped, it kind of looks like the heads are materializing and becoming more lifelike
. ghost small.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone, this is actually my first post. I absolutely love halloween but have always found it to wxpensive to buy props but never thought about dyi. I dont have a yard as i live on second floor of an apartment. But i have a HUGE front window and plan on making this my first DYI project.

My question for you guys is also about the foam head and how to get it free. If im going to invest in a foam head for this project i would like to be able to get it free to use on other projects. So wanted to hear your thoughts on a few ideas.....

Would heavy corn starch work on a form this big?? And if so would that allow to get the head free...?

If that wont work what about saran wrap??? Even if the glue sticks to the wrap would you be able to free the head leaving behind the wrap and still look good???

Im on a very limited budget and need to make the most out of everything i buy.

Thank you guys!!!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Instead of making these with the head in its natural, upright position, how about with the head lying down face up? Cover the face with saran wrap (cling film here in the UK) but only glue the cloth to the face itself, not the rear of the head. That way you can get all of the detail of the face, possibly more as gravity will hold the fabric into the details, then simply lift off the face when dry. This will then leave you with only half a head, so if you inflate a balloon to about the size of the head, cover that in saran wrap and then insert this under the cloth to create the roundness of the head. Now use you glue/stiffener etc on the fabric round the balloon to create the rest of your skull and leave it to dry. Then either remove the balloon or just pop it and you should have a good skull shape. I have not tried this, but was just thinking of a way out of the problem. Please feel free to tell me that it wont work!

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,396 Posts
If you use regular laundry starch you should be able to save the head. I just used this to make generic ghost & it pulled right off the foam ball I used for the head shape so I'd imagine it would work the same on a foam head.

Just remember it won't be waterproof & the starch will flake off a bit when you take it off the form but it does hold the shape. I was worried it wouldn't but once it came off the ball I just had to pop it back into shape. Once you have your shape you could use something else to waterproof it. I just bought a spray bottle & poured some starch it in & just went to town. I'd suggest doing it outside if you can but the starch will come off surfaces, but cover up your table if you're doing it inside, it's just easier clean up.

I bought my starch on Amazon but I know Walmart has it.

101 - 116 of 116 Posts