Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I soaked the cloth before putting it on the foam head. I know the glue solution will probably fade it off so I plan on spraying it again before I set it up. I still need the black light to be able to see the effect though.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I had seen this project in a Taste of Home Holiday magazine... there you were only making tabletop ghosts and used a small styrofoam ball on top of a paper towel roll... fabric stiffener on the cheesecloth and then flared it out at the bottom to eventually support the ghost on its own.

Anyways it is pretty awesome to see this concept on a "life-size" prop. Plus the mannequin head detail through the cheesecloth should look ultra creepy in a dark window.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I should probably explain these pics...The first head is Boris and I barely touched him with a nail buffing block. I wanted to see what kind of a difference I could get when I altered the foam slightly. The second head, Igor, I went at him a little bit harder with the buffer to try and get more detail in the finished product. Which actually didn't work out. But now they are happily scaring passers by in the window of my kitchen LOL

·
Margarita Goddess
5,440 Posts
Look great!!
As far as black lights go, we bought the 4' shop light fixtures for our garage & Menards had the 4' black light tubes for about $12 each. Made for great lighting in our garage. Also bought 4' & 12 " black light fixtures after Halloween a few years ago & hubby mounted them from walls in our bathrooms. Can get the tubes year round at Menards, don't know about the other home improvement stores.

·
Margarita Goddess
5,440 Posts
MamaGrizzly do you have a Savers anywhere around you? It is a thrift store that benefits Easter Seals. They get the heads in around Halloween and sell them for $3 or $4. I know we don't have them here in my area in FL, but in Toledo, Oh they had 2. Guess I'll have to make a trip back closer to Halloween. :D

·
Registered
157 Posts
MamaGrizzly do you have a Savers anywhere around you? It is a thrift store that benefits Easter Seals. They get the heads in around Halloween and sell them for $3 or $4. I know we don't have them here in my area in FL, but in Toledo, Oh they had 2. Guess I'll have to make a trip back closer to Halloween. :D
We had a Savers but it closed.... dang it!!! Those heads are expensive on EBAY.

·
A 1 man army of darkness
2,586 Posts
We had a Savers but it closed.... dang it!!! Those heads are expensive on EBAY.

While I don't have any extras lying about, you can get them on Amazon for $3.99 if you are buying $25 or more worth of merchandise (bonus, with free shipping). Or strangely enough, you can also get them on a monthly subscription @ $3.79 ea. for one per month. I'm not sure if you can game the system, and get multiple subscriptions for the same item, but it'd be worth a try I think ;)

http://www.amazon.com/SHANY-Cosmetics-Female-Styrofoam-wighead

·
Registered
306 Posts
I may be able to snag one from Sally's Beauty Supply that is right down the street from me if you want one. I think they're $4 or $5, but I can't remember.

Let me know.

·
Witch of the Midwest!
912 Posts
i actually have a menards near me i'll have to check this out. i have a blacklight but it is only about 2' long and i need another one to light my new flying crank ghost this year...she is soooo pretty!

Look great!!
As far as black lights go, we bought the 4' shop light fixtures for our garage & Menards had the 4' black light tubes for about $12 each. Made for great lighting in our garage. Also bought 4' & 12 " black light fixtures after Halloween a few years ago & hubby mounted them from walls in our bathrooms. Can get the tubes year round at Menards, don't know about the other home improvement stores.

21 - 40 of 116 Posts