Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was on Pinterest one day and came across these...

cloth-ghosts-phobias-1011mld107647_vert.jpg

So after looking them up I realized they were in fact a Martha Stewart creation. Say what you want about Martha but she's done time...she's fairly bad ***. So I thought this would be a perfect addition to my upstairs window and may help me cover up the huge fish tank I have in my foyer. The instructions were fairly easy. Apply 4 layers of cheesecloth with fabric stiffener or watered down white school glue, let dry, and remove head.

I started my quest for materials on eBay. I got 20 yards of white cheese cloth ($24 CAD) and a Styrofoam mannequin head ($6 CAD). I bought a gallon of white school glue at home Hardware for $8, mainly because my Dad works there and I got his discount. It was normally $18. I got a latex paint brush, which cost my husband $7. Because he is nice and buys me stuff like that. Now because I had a brainwave halfway through getting my supplies I also bought fabric whitener from Wal mart. I thought it would look extra cool if I put my ghosts under black lighting. Finding the fixtures and bulbs is another story :S

DSCF0957.jpg

DSCF0958.jpg

So I cut four 5' sections of the cloth. Draped the first layer over and brushed on the glue. It went on fairly easily and was very easy. Make sure to get the brush right into the detail though.

DSCF0959.jpg

DSCF0960.jpg

I applied 4 layers in the same way. No need to dry in between layers. And I criss crossed applying the fabric so it had a pointed kind of appearance at the bottom.

DSCF0961.jpg

DSCF0963.jpg

I tied a piece of yarn around the bottom to maintain of the detail from the chin and the sides of the head. Which turned out to be a mistake. As it dried the glue/water mixture soaked down the cloth and got about 5 inches wet below the chin line where I brushed it on. So now it has a funny line where the string was tied.

DSCF0965.jpg

I let it dry overnight. This morning I tried to remove the mannequin from the cloth....not gonna happen. The glue has completely adhered to the Styrofoam. The best solution I can come up for this is to possibly coat the head in Vaseline prior to applying the glue mixture. In the grand scheme of things I am willing to let the mannequin head go, and ordered 2 new ones off eBay to use for my window displays. I ordered male form heads this time as I think the features are more prominent and will be easier to see from the upstairs windows.

DSCF0967.jpg

DSCF0968.jpg

DSCF0969.jpg

Now the next part of the process is to get a hold of some black lights. I have never used them before and after some research I have decided to buy fluorescent fixtures and the 4' bulbs. My dad is pricing out the fixtures as we speak and I am on the hunt for some tubes. I will post new pics after I obtain these materials and find out how my ghosts glow!

Thanks for reading!

HAPPYHAUNTING :)

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
You might want to wait for the glue to dry between the first and second layer at least. That might help deal with the issue of the cloth sticking so strongly to the styrofoam.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Been toying with the idea of this for cemetery, plan on trying foil over head but cutting half or parts of a skull mask to replace parts of face. Starting early may. Good luck with the build, keep posting, very cool! I love the concept and the projection idea.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,410 Posts
Been toying with the idea of this for cemetery, plan on trying foil over head but cutting half or parts of a skull mask to replace parts of face.
I was going to suggest foil over the wig head.

When I made some mache pumpkins I put foil over a big blow mold pumpkin then mached a couple of layers over the foil then cut it off, patched it together from the inside with tape & built up more layers. It seems like the same thing would work with this project.

·
black light queen
2,494 Posts
I was going to suggest foil over the wig head.

When I made some mache pumpkins I put foil over a big blow mold pumpkin then mached a couple of layers over the foil then cut it off, patched it together from the inside with tape & built up more layers. It seems like the same thing would work with this project.
gr8 idea rciag!

amk

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
I used to make copies of skulls using the foil method. It worked great!

Like RCIAG said, I would just shape the foil tightly over the skull, then I used a plaster/mache type cloth product called "Rigid Wrap" over the foil.
When dry, cut it in half (ear to ear) to get it off. Then patch it back together with more rigid wrap.

My avatar is one of those same skulls.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I figured out something cool to do with this idea.
1. Instead of using a wig head, use a blow mold skull.
2. Take a mooing, flying ghost, and remove the cloth.
3. Using the uncovered ghost, trace a circle at the bottom of the skull, and cut it out.
Cut a hole in the top of the skull, and in the cheesecloth.
4. Pull the ghost miter through, and leave uncovered. You'll need to get to the power switch and batteries.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It looks great. I dont think the heads are supposed to come off btw. What did you add to bulk up the chest area?
Shes actually sitting on my huge cylinder fish tank lol

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,410 Posts
I used to make copies of skulls using the foil method. It worked great!

Like RCIAG said, I would just shape the foil tightly over the skull, then I used a plaster/mache type cloth product called "Rigid Wrap" over the foil.

When dry, cut it in half (ear to ear) to get it off. Then patch it back together with more rigid wrap..
Same here only instead of Rigid Wrap I did mache. I've also covered a few in hot glue & then cut off the foil shell, taped it together inside, put more hot glue over it then painted the hot glue with white spray paint or Kilz & aged them with latex paints.

Saran Wrap doesn't work as well for a base because it doesn't really stick to the styrofoam or blow mold.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have a question, these are great by the way and I think I may use this for my FCG this year. When did you apply the whitener?

1 - 20 of 116 Posts