Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a member ask me for a how to on cheese cloth ghost making. So I thought I'd share it with all of you as well :>)

All you need is a cheap plastic head/skull, a wire coat hanger, some cheese cloth, a bucket, some wire cutters and a black light.

For the skull/head if it doesn't already have one, make a hole in the top center of the skull, just big enough for the wire coat hanger to go through.

Bend the hook part of the clothes hanger just enough to get it through the top of the skull.

Then use either some heavy duty scissors or some wire cutters and snip the long part of the clothes hanger in the middle (the part you would hang pants on) then bend it out to make the arms.

Now you'll need your cheese cloth, you can get that stuff at any fabric store, they also sell it at the halloween stores.

You'll need to first bleach the cheese cloth to make it glow better. ( I recommend RIT, it is a non-bleach whitener, it's easier on the material)

Just get a bucket put some water in it, throw the RIT in it, and then submerge the cheese cloth, let it sit over night.

Then pull it out and drape it over the clothes hanger, skull combo. (shaping can be an art form ;>).

Your cheese cloth ghost is ready to go!

Hang it near a window and put your black light in front of it. Just make sure your black light is not visable from the outside.

This makes a great effect and it pretty cheap to pull off too! Good luck and Happy Haunting!

·
The Greatest Pumpkin
752 Posts
so the fabric stiffens in RIT? i thought it just whitened it haha. and well once you take it out of the bucket, how long does it take to dry? or just throw it in the dryer? haha

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The RIT does stiffen the fabric slightly. And technically you don't need the skull, but I think it does add to the effect. The fabric could just hang on the coat hanger or any other type of lattice that you can conceive.

·
Registered
196 Posts
FYI. There is an alternative to cheesecloth...tulle. If you listen to the latest Hauntcast, The Prop Guys from the Garage Of Evil, mentioned it while they were discussing an FCG. The major plus is that it does not need to be dyed to glow under black light. I'm gonna try one this weekend. Just a static ghost, not an FCG,
Maybe next year...

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
hhmmmm, I was going to WM to look for cheeseclothe at lunch....maybe I'll get tulle instead...

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I soaked the cloth in warm water and Ryte over night. and had used it over and over year after year. I might need to redo this year though.
08'

·
Where wolf?
1,277 Posts
I just grabbed one of the 14.00 pulsing lit ghost at Walgreens for a filler piece. Went to dress up the face a bit and found the eye and mouth decals were on a very thin rice paper that was peeling so removed them. I intend to maybe dress it up more. Not sure yet how it would glow as-is under UV but I'll let you know. :)

·
Crawling in my skin
2,236 Posts
I also put an oscillating fan on my two ghosts on the floor so it makes them move to.

·
Registered
82 Posts
CuRtIs!, Did you do anything to your ghosts head? I like how its dark put still picks up a reflection from the material.
Nope, Its just a foam skull I got from Michaels arts and craft store. Its the RIT and my 22" GE black light that's creating the glow. And the eyes are led's with napkin glued over the socket's.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
17 Participants
stuffyteddybare
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing