Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checking in from Arizona. Figured I’d post up some pics of last years props. I have been doing this for over 10 years. Everyone else can have Christmas, I get Halloween to express my creativity.

I started out about 13 years ago making my displays 100% holographic. Last year I decided to retire the holography as it seemed the kids were no longer impressed with it. No more magic as everything can be explained these days. I decided to go backwards and revisit the time when my Mother and Father would make Christmas displays using Styrofoam and blacklights. With some McGee’s Alice inspiration, this is what came of it.
Much to my surprise the response was overwhelming.

This year I am doing Coraline. Almost half done…..

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
oh my gosh, i checked out your pictures, they are awsome. so let me get this right, you drew those, you drew them on styrofoam, then cut them out? very awesome!!!!!!!!! were they hard to cut out? you must show your next ones. i'm very impressed!! i didn't see the show coroline, but i bet your work will be awesome

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh my gosh, i checked out your pictures, they are awsome. so let me get this right, you drew those, you drew them on styrofoam, then cut them out? very awesome!!!!!!!!! were they hsard to cut out? you must show your next ones. i'm very impressed!! i didn't see the show coroline, but i bet your work will be awesome
Yes they are hand painted using WildFire paint – VERY awesome paint, I highly recommend it. White actually shows White under a black light, not blue. For fine line work it’s just a black sharpie. Alice’s gloves are made from florescent gaffers tape and her knife is Aluminum Tape. Then I cut them out using a handheld scroll hotwire and silicone’d PVC to the back for reinforcement and also to provide a stand via rebar pounded into the ground. Alice, Dee and Dum are from McGee’s Alice. The Dormouse is Disney and the rest is my mind.

All in all the hard work is painting. The foam scroll is easy to work. The next tedious task is cleaning up little Styrofoam bits when you’re done.

I have about half the characters done for Coraline now.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Greetings.
Impressive work indeed. A rather refreshing change from the norm, and very artistic.
I too am looking forward to seeing the Coroline pieces.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Mad Hatter Alice In Wonderland aka Malice 2009

Checking in from Arizona. displays using Styrofoam and blacklights. With some McGee’s Alice inspiration, this is what came of it.
Much to my surprise the response was overwhelming.

This year I am doing Coraline. Almost half done…..
Those were awesome ~ I dont have the time now and money for the stryofoam but am gonna do some card stock paintings ...hope mine turn out as good as yours.
Coraline sounds like fun.
~ Ani

1 - 16 of 16 Posts