Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone - first time posting here after "lurking" a bit.I just completed my first stalk around costume last night and am very please with how it came out. Going to be entering in a costume contest tonight so I'm pretty excited.

I am using a bicycle helmet with a steel rod attached on top to support and move the head around. However, after standing around for 15-20 min or so, it starts to get unbearably uncomfortable. Tonight at this contest, I may have to wear the thing for over an hour. Does anyone have any ideas of how to make the thing more comfortable? The problem is that the head can't stay up on it's own - it has to be resting on something. So I'm trying to think of creative ways to mount it on something, or even to put some kind of padding or concussion in the helmet.

The other issue is the heat inside, but I don't think there's much i can do about that.

Anyone have any clever ideas?

Here's a video of the finished costume. Any other critiques are welcome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdHXFsAV848

·
Registered
606 Posts
THAT LOOKS AWESOME!!!

I've never built one, but is there any way you can create a sort of harness that distributes some of the weight of the head onto your shoulders?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I found out the hard way last night at this contest I went to. It was my first one, so I naively assumed that they start on time. It was billed at 9:30, so I showed up a bit before then. They didn't even start until 10:45 and then there were three rounds of judging with probably 75 people or so. I ended up wearing that thing for 3.5 hours. Was very uncomfortable by the end! Also a little upset I didn't win - came in 4th though.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I know it's too late now for this year but I use hikers or military backpacks that have the metal frames for mine. I then build up off of the frame so that the weight is distributed on to my shoulders and waist since the frames also have belts. It still gets a little uncomfortable after a couple hours but most anything will. I have built two costumes like this.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I also used a metal framed military backpack for my stalkabout this year.
I clamped a couple of pvc pipes to it and went from there. It was not too heavy and not uncomfortable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts