Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to go to thrift stores and garage sales to find satin sheets. I use these as fancy curtains for my Halloween parties. It makes the entrance ways into various rooms more elegant. It also hides props so guests don't see my displays until they walk into the room.

I can usually pick up these sheets for $1 to $3. I go to a hardware store and find nearly the thinnest wood dowel I can find. I simply slide the dowel through the open end of the sheet hem. Then I use push pins to hold it up. What I like about the dowel rod is that it gives the sheet curtain nice pleats. Much better than a flat, stretched out look.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,768 Posts
Looks good Dawnski. Thought maybe I would share what I do for window coverings. Our window areas are different from yours, kind of recessed areas with no wood trim. Our doorways are the same. I do a similar thing with sheer panels, creepy cloth panels, satin sheets and somewhat heavier velvet-looking drapery panels. Due to the heavier material and/or our window/doorway structure I use spring tension rods in place of your dowel rod solution. Pick them up in Big Lots and sometimes in Goodwill. And for the evening I'll use 3M Command hooks as a tie back hook and then add cording as the tieback for the drapery panel. Love how the Command stuff is removable and doesn't make holes in your walls.

Drapery is a big room changer if you can modify it for your setting.

·
Ghouls Rule
2,584 Posts
I havent put up draperies as such, but I have picked up alot of nice white sheets for covering my furniture. Pretty much everytime I go out on yardsales I see them at least once and for under $1. Got my last batch for .25 a piece and they were king size jersey knits, those arent cheap retail. They are great for covering up stuff like large dvd armois(sp?), bowflexes, ect. :) The bowflex could have been called a "boo-flex" because it looked like a giant ghost, hehe.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Great idea on the 3M command hooks. I read on another post that you can call your area hotel and ask if you can pick up their old sheets before they throw them away. Apparently they dispose of them about every 3 months.

Just be careful if you are using these sheets in an area with black light. They could look like a Jackson Pollock painting meets C.S.I. combination! :rolleyes:;)

Eric

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thrift store sheets are a great idea! I'm going to start stocking up for next year. Thanks for the tip.

We use a combo of paint tarps and creepy cloth all from Dollar Tree or 99 Only. We just attach them to the wall with thumb tacks. And we re-use them every year. We just bunch them up and cram them into plastic storage bins. As they get old and wrinkled they look even better, and you can't ruin creepy cloth.

1375048_10201334682143375_1381346907_n.jpg

1375024_10201334677343255_265551490_n.jpg

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I use black sheets to block off the large entry area from the kitchen/family room area to give the family some privacy on HA\alloween night and block the light from the family room getting into the front room.

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some more ways to creatively and cheaply decorate the wall with fake curtains. Good curtain effects can add to the atmosphere of the room you're trying to create. This is for a 1930s style haunted hotel sitting room. Two lace valances found at a garage sale. Two thin dowel rods. I thread the rods through the curtain and use push pins on the wall. Ribbons helped to create that old timey look.

Attachments

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here's the entrance to our seance room. Again, I wanted an old time gothic feel. Picked up a set of satin sheets for a $1 and cut them up into strips. Then used push pins to create this look.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts