Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching but found nothing...I'm sure someone has made some graveyard body mounds? I don't want to just buy dirt, or dig any out of my yard, but I would love to add some mounds to the ground for the tombstones this year. Has anyone made any on the cheap? I wouldn't want to use paper mache bc being on the ground it will probably get moist and be destroyed. I'm thinking of maybe some kind of shell that is oblong and maybe gluing dirt/grass/leaves to it? Not sure what to make the "shells" out of though...fiberglass? Need ideas!

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,390 Posts
If you have the materials, patience and time, you could use 1x2s or 2x2s to make a frame the size of the grave and then form the mound out of chicken wire an attach it to the frame. you could then attach the blanket to it.

Reactions: BigGeek

·
Registered
137 Posts
Try PVC piping. Lightweight and easy enough to take apart for storage.

"Arch" the mound pieces easy enough with a handheld propane torch.

Tie chicken wire to the arch pieces. No chicken wire? Try SEVERAL
metal clothes hangers. Twine them together, 2 by 2.

Cover the chicken wire with some black landscape fabric. You can paint
that brown easy enough. You can toss a few handfuls of dirt, flowers on
top.

You would have the option of placing lights on the ground, under the fabric.

You can also disassemble and roll up into a small package for storage.

Depending on your choice of a headstone, the entire grave could store inside
the bottom of the stone.

Just my quick thoughts...but I'm not very smart.

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,258 Posts
Yes you are - great idea! You Einstein you....

Try PVC piping. Lightweight and easy enough to take apart for storage.

"Arch" the mound pieces easy enough with a handheld propane torch.

Tie chicken wire to the arch pieces. No chicken wire? Try SEVERAL
metal clothes hangers. Twine them together, 2 by 2.

Cover the chicken wire with some black landscape fabric. You can paint
that brown easy enough. You can toss a few handfuls of dirt, flowers on
top.

You would have the option of placing lights on the ground, under the fabric.

You can also disassemble and roll up into a small package for storage.

Depending on your choice of a headstone, the entire grave could store inside
the bottom of the stone.

Just my quick thoughts...but I'm not very smart.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I understand you don't want to dig up your garden or yard for this but, every year what i do is i get a hold of large clear plastic garbage bags and i take some dirt from my garden, i lay the plastic bags out where i want the grave to be and then i mound the dirt on top of the bags. Seeing as it's the fall and a lot of people spread a little more black topsoil on their flower beds before the snow flies, you could go to Home Depot, grab 2-3 bags of black topsoil and use it on the grave and then, after Halloween just spread it over the flower beds when you are done. Totally green and no waste! The other thing you could do is just remove a little turf from your front yard (dig carefully) and then blow a little air into the clear garbage bags (not too much, maybe half full) and then twist tie them off securely. Then, place the bags carefully into the depression left from the sod removal and just lay the sod over top of the bags. This will leave a distinct "hump" which will look like a freshly covered grave and, after Halloween you simply place the sod back in place and it will have re-rooted by the spring! Hope this helps......

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Here you go. A whole different "solution", yielding a whole new effect/product too! The first pair of glasses I ever had were not right because when I looked down at the ground it would appear as if I was standing on a fair-sized lump of ground, arching up, just large enough to be my own personal pedestal!
"Grave Plot Glasses!" "Don't look down! everywhere you go, you will always be standing on your grave! (Or a fresh Zombie-fied corpse about to grab your ankle for a "bite"!)
No chicken wire no potting soil, no pvc, just an optical illusion.. just like so many things in this life.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Here you go. A whole different "solution", yielding a whole new effect/product too! The first pair of glasses I ever had were not right because when I looked down at the ground it would appear as if I was standing on a fair-sized lump of ground, arching up, just large enough to be my own personal pedestal!
"Grave Plot Glasses!" "Don't look down! everywhere you go, you will always be standing on your grave! (Or a fresh Zombie-fied corpse about to grab your ankle for a "bite"!)
No chicken wire no potting soil, no pvc, just an optical illusion.. just like so many things in this life.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts