Halloween Forum banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
I got a bunch of free PVC and cut them and ground the edges smooth and made the cuts in 1/3 of them... and I'm stuck.
I don't have the strength to separate the PVC enough to loop them... no joke. Bahaha... sorry but my body type is anorexic skeleton...yes... an anorexic skeleton.

Any tips or tools to give me an edge? I've tried a battery terminal spreader... but that wasn't big enough.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I got a bunch of free PVC and cut them and ground the edges smooth and made the cuts in 1/3 of them... and I'm stuck.
I don't have the strength to separate the PVC enough to loop them... no joke. Bahaha... sorry but my body type is anorexic skeleton...yes... an anorexic skeleton.

Any tips or tools to give me an edge? I've tried a battery terminal spreader... but that wasn't big enough.
get some Spreading Pliers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Lake, Here is my version that I finished this weekend. (still have a second six-foot section to rust soon...) Thanks for the inspiration

2014-09-21 19.34.27.jpg

2014-09-21 19.35.33.jpg

·
Registered
136 Posts
I know I'm late to the thread here but I just wanted to know how the coffee grounds method held up in the weather. Anybody?

·
Registered
216 Posts
How I rusted the chain:
for the wet look i used the clear coat spray on the coffee , i am trying to make it out door proof ,when the clear coats are dry i am going to water test it.
Yes please let us know how it holds up to water. I was just wondering how I could afford a long enough plastic chain for my ghost / ghost of christmas past that I finished last night. Thank you for the step by step.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know I'm late to the thread here but I just wanted to know how the coffee grounds method held up in the weather. Anybody?
Jeepers,
Mine didn't last...the sun grey'd it out a bit....

I've seen where some people have used a layer of clear coat on top of things like this...i didn't try that but sounds like it probably would have helped.

·
Registered
9 Posts
At first I was going to start a new thread, but then though that it may be better to keep the ideas for cheap chain in one place. I am actually looking for ways to make cheap chain for the Jacob Marley character in a production of "A Christmas Carol". This version has a large dance number as part of that scene, so it would ideally use around 200ft of chain. I know I can buy plastic chain, and will certainly buy some of that, but I also want some variety of styles of chain. Plus, the aged and grey colors of plastic chain are not available in bulk.

I have read about the PVC, Spray Foam, and Foam Pipe insulation methods. And they all do look viable, but I have another idea, and wanted to ask for thoughts on it.

My idea is to use foam "backing rod" used in the construction industry. They put it in large cracks between concrete pours, and then apply caulking over it.To see what I am describing, go to Home Depot and do a search for "Caulk Backer Rod". It is a polyethylene foam in a round extrusion. The typical sizes are 1/4, 1/2 and 1" diameter.

I have experience with using it to represent vines hanging in a jungle, and also if it is slit into half (using a razer blade in the middle of a short length of pipe) it can be glued to a wall, to make it look like it is a fancy wood panel, or carved marble.

Now to the idea for chain. I was hoping I might simply wrap a length of the backing rod around a piece of wood which has been shaped into an elongated round shape. Then, it is placed in an oven at an appropriate temperature for the backing rod to soften. I know this may take time, since foam is an insulator. Then, remove it while it is still on the wood, and wait for it to cool. Finally, the rod is slit along one edge, and then removed from the wood. The links would then need to be glued closed and linked together using a low-temperature hot-glue gun.

The main benefit to this method, is that it would allow for a round chain profile, and also permit you to make fairly large chain links. I am a little concerned about painting it, but I do like that it is already a gray color.

To me the main unknown is the temperature needed to soften it, and how long the heat/cool process would be. Also, I wonder if it will really take the shape of the mandrel, or perhaps spring-back to some extent.

Anyone attempted anything like this? Other ideas or thoughts about it?

-Joe

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Jeepers mine held up good .....the one with the clear coat on the coffee held up best....coffee grounds are free...but can
chip off ...but the best way to go I think is that flex stone rust colored paint , the stuff I used (can't remember the name of it but got it at Walmart) stuck to the pvc with out primer and does not scratch off.......and sticks to you hands like Great stuff foam it's hard to get off.....hope this helps

41 - 60 of 72 Posts