Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
How I rusted the chain:

the first chain i rusted i used sand that I dyed ,put sand in ziplock bag ,put in dye or food color ,mix till changes color , do multiple colors , mix colors together in big ziplock bag , spray chain with spray glue for plastic ,stick in ziplock and shake ,then do a clear coat spay.

the second chain i used Maxwell House (good till the last drop)filter pack coffee ,not sure what made me try this method ,i was about to thro it out but tore open the pack and it looked like rust ,so i dug a weeks worth of packs from the trash , i put the coffee on foil and put it in the oven at 200 deg and took it out as soon as it was dry (looked brown)i heated another batch in the oven for a lot longer for another color(looked very dark brown black) mix them together in ziplock bag ,spay chain with spay glue, but in ziplock with coffee and shake ,take out and spray with hair spray

for the wet look i used the clear coat spray on the coffee , i am trying to make it out door proof ,when the clear coats are dry i am going to water test it.

the sand chain looks good up close ,the coffee ones look fantastic they really looks like rusted chain and take out the hard edges of the pipe chain and makes the links look rounded, hope this helps

·
Registered
4 Posts
Amazing idea. Thanks for the information. I defiantly want to try this idea out. Did you do the rust process before or after the links were assembled? Did you have any issues with getting the spray glue to get in all the spaces between the links?

Really cool idea to use the coffee grounds. I will have to start saving my coffee grounds now! Thank you for posting. Your idea has all the great properties of a haunt project. Easy, creative, innovative, uses traditional products in nontraditional ways, cheap available products, and of course looks amazing and better than store bought!:D

·
Registered
92 Posts
Not only is this a great chain tutorial, but it seems like either the sand or coffee ground method would also be a great way of getting a faux stone texture on anything. Much cheaper than the stone texture spray paint.

·
Registered
143 Posts
With a cut in one of the links, you could even have these chains hanging from locations on the body like the nose and ears.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Great tutorial! Really like the look of the wet rusty chain, guess I'll scour the hold for some material to make one for my pirate ship yard haunt.

Thanks for sharing.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts