Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cheap rusty chain: 8 cents a foot
3/4 pvc pluming pipe or bigger ,I just used some scrap that I had left over
pvc pipe cutter , make the links uneven it makes the chain look older and better , for fast even cuts use a band or table saw
cut 1/3 of the links with pvc cutter, link to the uncut ones,(uncut ,cut , uncut......no glue needed

Attachments

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Sometimes old chains may be bought cheaply at a yard sale or auction, but they won't be cheap if a few farmers are bidding.. they like chains, need chains.
One farmer keeps trying to buy the big old chain from the hood of my Spookmobile.
I strung a small steel cable through the hook's eyelet and cabled it to the edge of the hood. Plastic chains are great for hanging in a haunt. People get disappointed when they discover they are plastic because they wanted to swing them quickly and whap someone in the face with a steel chain.
Another rule:"All weapons or objects that could be used as weapons must be securely fastened down to keep them out of the hands of the customers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Before it was painted it looked too perfect, but that rusting! Wow! Great work :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
This is when I am glad my husband gets me what I want for my birthday rather than flowers and candy. Last big birthday surprise was a bandsaw. <sigh> I am such a lucky person. I have so much scrap pvc that I may wind up encircling my house with this plastic chain.

·
Undertaker
3,176 Posts
This is when I am glad my husband gets me what I want for my birthday rather than flowers and candy. Last big birthday surprise was a bandsaw. <sigh> I am such a lucky person. I have so much scrap pvc that I may wind up encircling my house with this plastic chain.
Dang! I want a bandsaw ! Where's mine????

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
part 2 new chain

I meant to post this sooner but I have been very busy (thanks for the comments) this is how I made it look like newer chain. i am using 3/4 pipe
because I have some scape pieces of it , use any size bigger will work

this part is easier than cutting some pipe and connecting the rings together.
you need a heat gun, mine is from harbor freight and is cheap to buy and has worked great for years.
heat a ring with the gun for a few seconds on concrete till it is soft and stick it in the same size pipe you are using for chain links ,just stick it in the pipe one after the other ,no need the wait ,they cool in seconds ,most of the time when they cool they shrink and fall out the end of the pipe ,when they don't just fall out I push them thru with a stick, they come out very easy , since I am bad at how to's I think the pictures say it all .

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i am terrible at how too,what a mess (not my typing ,spelling and sentence structure that part is great) for some reason it loads the pictures how ever it wants ,can someone do a how to for this for me

1 - 20 of 72 Posts