Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am planning on creating several rotting corpse heads/bodies over the summer for next Halloween season. For these heads, I need a base shape to add skin to. During Halloween, I can find really nice plastic skulls similar to this model (seen at lower right of photo) at savers for around $5. It has a fairly realistic shape and a movable jaw, and is perfect for making a corpse head. Last year I managed to get two of them before having to resort to a crappy more expensive model from target. Unfortunately, savers only sells these during Halloween in rather limited quantaties, and the above site says they are out of stock right now. Any suggestions for good looking skulls around $5 or $6?

Here is a picture of some of the skulls I created this past season too late to sell.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
You can often find them floating around on e-bay.
Alternatively, there are a number of threads on the forum that deal with skull duplication techniques, if you are feeling creative.

The skull doesn't need to be perfect if you are going to corpsify it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I tried making a few skulls last night using Stolloween's technique. Im having a little trouble with the facial part, getting the template right is kind of hard. I have also tried just making the paper mache mold from an existing skull but it didnt come out too good. Mine was too thin, I didnt do enough layers. It came out pretty lame, not as good as corpsing a cheap plastic skull. You could always try out the great stuff method, theres a video on youtube.

I wish I could tell you something that hasnt been said. Next year Im going to stock up after Halloween as well. I wish I would have done it this year, I just didnt see anything that looked good but was still cheap. Ill let you all know how mine come out.

Good luck, the prop in the picture is pretty sick, I love it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have thought of making them from scratch/molding, though that may make them less structurally sound (though I suppose several plastic models are kind of weak too). I believe that one of the skulls in the display has a foam base that was cut and formed into a skull shape. That, and we are planning on making a lot of them, and some full body props in between a summer job, and so a cheap and very quick pre-made plastic one would be ideal. Another option may be to use a 3D printer, as my High school may be getting one soon. With that, I could get incredible detail for a cheap price (though it is still unknown when they will be getting it).

If you want, I can post a picture/video of our full rig from last year. We built a plywood coffin and rigged a skeleton to sit up with the pull of a string. The entire setup was carried around on Halloween night for trick or treating. It took about four of us to carry it.

As for a tutorial... Remember that glue is an amazing thing, and different types get you different results. Fabric Hot glue (opaque white) is perfect for realistic teeth. Wood stain is the perfect color and gets you the rotting, uneven, and shiny texture (and smells really bad when fresh).

Thanks for all your help,
~AJR3

I also do Special Effects (YouTube - AJR3's Channel), and may use these props in a video.

·
Scared Silly
1,930 Posts
From what I've seen of 3D printers, that's going to be a lot more work than it's worth unless you're planning to start selling them or are really looking for a skull that's not on the market.

I'd very much like to see your coffin rig.

As far as stability of replicated skulls, plaster ones will be fragile until you corpse them (though, even after that, you can't exactly use them as a football), and papier mache will be quite strong if you do about three lavers of strips.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From what I've seen of 3D printers, that's going to be a lot more work than it's worth unless you're planning to start selling them or are really looking for a skull that's not on the market.

I'd very much like to see your coffin rig.

As far as stability of replicated skulls, plaster ones will be fragile until you corpse them (though, even after that, you can't exactly use them as a football), and papier mache will be quite strong if you do about three lavers of strips.
Yeah, I would probably try to avoid the 3D printer solution as the printer is thought to be shipped for next school year. This would be a little closer to Halloween than I would like.

As for building my own, I guess I will try my best to find a cheap plastic prop online, but if my searches are fruitless, I suppose I will try paper mache.

I will work on getting coffin pictures.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts