Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello!

i am having my second halloween party that a friend of mine is hosting with me, and we were looking for some inexpensive ways to decorate our party. being poor college students, we don't have much money to spend on making the house look really cool for halloween and were wondering if anyone had any ideas for something that didn't cost much but made a big impact?

last year we bought a martha stewart magazine for halloween and it had a few ideas that we are planning on trying but any ideas would be much appreciated. thanks! :)

·
Fallen Angel
7,061 Posts
the cheapest place to get decor is the local dollar store......ours has all kinds of really cool things for $5. or less.

we usually do a bloody scene in the bathroom. we got a clear shower curtain from the dollar store, used red paint to splatter "blood" and make bloody handprints all over it....we hung a severed head from the shower head; taped glowsticks to the underside of the toilet seat (makes a cool eerie glow); used the blood gel clings around the toilet lid and on the mirror; we also put a bunch of the small rubber cockroaches (a tub of 100 of them for $2.00) on the floor and the countertops. it didn't cost more than $20. for the scene and it was a huge hit.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow that sounds really cool! thanks!

·
Zombie Inside
2,045 Posts
A bag of spiderwebbing used correctly (pulled really thin instead of left in big wads) can look really creepy, especially to people who are afraid of spiders. ;)
If you're artistic at all you can get a roll of black paper and cut out silohuettes to tape on the walls...cheaper than scene setters.
Black lights, strobe lights, and strings of purple/green/orange lights can be purchased fairly cheaply, too. Lighting totally sets the mood.

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
just taking string and hanging it from the ceiling so as people walk and feel like spider webs are brushing their faces is fun to watch. creepy to. use a black garbage bag and get creative. stuff it like you have a dead body inside, maybe have a stuffed glove hanging out or a stuffed sock. have a vase lying by it for the weopon used. blood on the vase

·
Registered
666 Posts
what says spooky haunted house more than white sheets all over the furniture like the people left and never came back. Cheap white material from walmart usually for a dollar or less a yard is never a miss. In the same respect they also (if you decide not to do that) have halloween fabrics in the clearance section for a dollar or two a yard and they make great table cloths for your food table and also to use on your coffee table. I also like to hang streamers down in walkways orange and black about a dollar a roll go a long way. Don't forget to write on the mirrors in the bathroom if you do that as well. There are a couple of posts on here about how to do bathrooms with some great tips. Local thrift stores and goodwills etc have some things out you can convert with just some simple spraypaint. (baskets to hold your goodies in with black paint $1 a can and maybe a dollar or two for the basket) , and things like candles for christmas lights (i got a bunch for 50 cents each at goodwill) and am replacing the bulbs with orange ones or the red would really work also. let your imagination run wild and have fun. Good luck on your party.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Packaged "Creepy Cloth" (basically cheesecloth dyed tan/gray/green/black) can create a very old, creepy look. You can get it at dollar stores and lots of others places. Basically $1 to $5 a pack, depending on where you get it. That, together with webbing and lighting creates a great "organic" look without spending a ton of money.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Using low lighting, preferably red, blue or green colored bulbs really helps create a spooky atmosphere. The low lighting levels really create the mood and help hide the absence of a lot of props.

Covering the furniture with white sheets is a great idea, but use new ones if you are using black light in the room. If you are typical college students as many of us are or in my case were, you will get a "CSI" effect with the black light on the sheets, even after a couple of launderings! Don't ask me how I know that! ;)

If you do have some props, try to cluster them into scenes, rather than trying to spread them out. The visual impact is much greater with mini scenes, rather than having isolated props spread apart.

Lighting and a good soundtrack or musical selection will set the stage for a great party! Have a great time and let us know how it goes!

Eric
________
Yamaha FJ600

·
Registered
246 Posts
for all of my decorations it cost like $30 at most. I got this little graveyard set from walmart ($25) a bag of spiderwebs, black and orange crepe paper, and a spider thingy from the dollar store that its legs stretch over the whole room to where like we're 'under' the spider. =) All of that came from the dollar store

·
Registered
198 Posts
As other people have said, low lighting will really create a good creepy atmosphere. Another REALLY cheap decorating idea is to cover your entire walls with Aluminum Foil or Black Garbage Bags. Both can be found at the dollar stores for minimal investment. We have actually used both, aluminum foil one year and black garbage bags (although I believe it was actually the black tablecloth rolls you get for weddings/graduations/etc from Sams club/gordon's food stores). We even covered the windows so there was no possible way of light creeping in. It actually turned out to be fabulously creepy and our guests commented on how spooky the place looked! Pair that with a few strobe or black/colored lights and throw a few sheets on the furniture....hang a few cobwebs in the corners, you are good to go!

Happy Haunting! :D

·
Registered
369 Posts
taped glowsticks to the underside of the toilet seat (makes a cool eerie glow);
Oh my god, I LOVE that idea! How cool! That would create an incredible ambiance, and it's so unique! Great idea!

:)
Leigh Clements
The Mystery Maiden
Shot In The Dark Mysteries.com

1 - 13 of 13 Posts