Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, coming into the final stages of my setup now and ready to add some colour lighting outside. A friend of mine has been able to borrow a professional Fog machine (the dry ice kind) for my yard this year so I want to add some coloured lights to really show it off.

I'm on a limited budget so I'm trying to keep things as cheap as possible, or use gear that I've already got and I came up with the idea of using low voltage LED downlights with some coloured plastic to get the right colour. I've got a packet of 4 cheap 12v ones that I bought a while back and ended up replacing as they interfered with my TV so badly that I'd loose just about every channel when I switched them on. Has anyone used them like this before? I'm thinking of mounting them in PVC tubing to protect them and to allow me to easily keep the coloured plastic away from the bulb.

I'll make sure I get some pictures as I build them!

·
black light queen
2,494 Posts
i've purchased several, maybe close to about 20?, solar powered led landscaping lights ... not all at once, as i wasn't certain how well they'd work ... the blue have some uv/blacklight effects, which i wasn't expecting :) ... and the green is also very nice ... also some white as well

they're about $20 each though ... but the color saturation is excellent and obviously, don't require batteries, well they have built in lithium batteries that the solar panel charges, and no extension cords ...

amk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah $20 a light is a bit much for my budget unfortunately. The downlights I've already got are an MR16 fitting, and it appears as though the outer lip of the light is 50mm in diameter. Hopefully I can find some PVC that is a very similar size and I may be able to either glue them to the tube, or use a joiner to hold them in place somehow. I'd actually prefer to run wires, so I don't have to worry about batteries going flat. I should be able to run the 4 of these that I've got off a single 12v power supply, and just hook up all the lights in parallel.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my halloween lights, bought a strobe light black but appears purple pink
Looks good! I've made a couple of programmable strobe lights from bits this year, so they'll be included in my maze.

Found these yesterday at the local hardware store.
DSC_0199 - SMALL.jpg

My downlights fit in them perfectly :)
DSC_0200 - small.jpg
DSC_0201 - small.jpg

I'm going to cut out some colour perspex circles for the tops of them today, but if you were in a hurry I'm sure that stretching a balloon over the top would also work well for changing the colours :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also got a quick photo of my metal pumpkin head, sitting on top of his new pedestal just inside the entrance of my maze. Thinking I'll put out a few more LED candles to make it look like there's some sort of ritual going on ;)
DSC_0204.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts