Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to pick up these $39 lights at Lowes for $4 each. They are designed for candles but I decided to go ahead and make them electric.

I started by drilling a hole in the bottom of the fixture and feeding a extention cord that I had cut the female end off of up through the bottom of the light and through a 6" piece of 1 1/2 PVC.

I them added a candelabra base to the end of the wire. I had to build up the area around the base so if would bit semi-snuggly into the PVC pipe so after covering all of the wiring I wrapped the base in a folded up paper towel and duct tape.

After sliding the base down inside the PVC, I secured it with a generous amount of glue from a hot glue gun. This also gave it a candle apperance. I then secured the candle like fixture back into the light fixture with more glue from the glue gun.

After about 15 minutes of work, a completed light! I figure each light cost me about $7.50!

I have 14 more of these to put together. I had given some thought to adding a flicker affect but 15 of these lights flickering all around me would drive me nuts. I also may make the electrical cord go out through the top of some of them but that still questionable. I hole in the top would allow water in as well if not sealed 100%.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Go back to lowes and top it off with a flicker bulb and you got a great prop.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Bummer, my Lowes store didn't have these. The closest they had was a candle lantern of a different style for $25. Big whoop.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Awesome job. I saw some lamps at Big Lots the other day thinking, hmmm...I could make those into...

·
Registered
450 Posts
Awesome!!! What a score -- heck they must have sold them at cost. Thanks for sharing; noce job on the pics.

-Doc

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Working there helps. There was a pile of them that were on clearance so I asked the Str Mgr how much if I bought them all.....he said $4.00ea. I bought them last fall and have had them sitting around not sure what I wanted to do with them.

·
Registered
14,012 Posts
Nice job on the lanterns. The candle looks good too. So what are your plans for the 15 lanterns? With that number you could end up with a really cool set up with lots of atmosphere.

Before I would add a flicker circuit to all of them I would try out those flicker candelabra bulbs first someone else mentioned. I know you said they were only 3W but depending on your haunt set up with that number of lanterns and any other accent lighting it could be enough.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right now I am going to use 8 of the lanterns/lights betwen my cemetery fence panels. My fence panels are 12' long and will have a 2' space between each panel. I am planning or running a chain from panel to panel and hang a lantern in the center of the chain. That still leaves 7 of these things that I will need to place around my haunt for either general lighting or for atmosphere. Adding a flicker curcuit or bulb is a pretty simple change if it comes to that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts