Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used a SSR to create a quick and easy Lightning machine..
They are cheap and reliable and all over ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SILICON-POWER-CUBE-240D45-10SP-50R2D-SOLID-STATE-RELAY-240V-50A-/190941381640?_trksid=p2054897.l4276

make sure the input voltage has a wide range 3.5 volts to 32 volts DC
and a high Amperage output 25-50 amps 110 volts to 220 volts AC

Plug the output of your speakers to the input and your flood lights to the high voltage side, turn on the thunder sound track
and there you go, quick and easy.

here is my video

·
Registered
320 Posts
Awesome 2KO5GT! Could I get some more info. What is this thing originally used for? Do you have a pic or video of it being assembled? More info please.

·
Registered
527 Posts
This is interesting... I did not know a relay could be powered off of an audio line signal. I wouldlike to see a pic of the wiring as well.
Thanks, Pete
Awesome 2KO5GT! Could I get some more info. What is this thing originally used for? Do you have a pic or video of it being assembled? More info please.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Did anyone else try this? I would still love to see a wiring diagram. I'm hunting for a relay online now but would like to get any feedback from others who have done it. Off the top of my head I'm thinking that I could cut off the plug from a short power strip and plug that into the output side of the relay. Then my lights could plug into the power strip. Naturally, I would have to secure the relay connections to protect from accidents. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Nice.

For those looking for a schematic, just google solid state relay and you'll get several hits. I found the following that's a good example. Your speaker out would go on the input side of the relay. I would likely add a potentiometer on the input side so I could control the input sensitivity level and fine tune the triggering of the output.

For example, your speaker output could be at too high of an amplitude and keep the relay open for the duration of the thunder and instead of getting the desired intermittent flickering you'll instead get a constant high on the output. As a result your lights would just stay on instead of flicking on/off.

relayssr.gif

·
Registered
89 Posts
Could you run one speaker wire from your stereo output (say left) to the relay and one (right) to your speaker and adjust sensitivity buy adjusting balance and volume?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Skunkman,

You could and I've done something like that a long time ago, the problem was the control wasn't the best because I was then compromising the volume of my audio output, which affected the ambiance as well as I had a stereo track so the sound and light action wasn't consistent. I have 2 cheapie lightening controllers I'd picked a while back that does these types of affects where you just plug in the lamp and they have a line in from the receiver.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts