Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for spotlights that you can put on the ground to show my graves and zombie dude. Im looking at walmart for cheap easy lighting but I dont know what they are called . any suggestions?
Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't remember how much they are, but if they are the plastic rectangular ones I would pass. I had a couple last year and several quit working shortly after starting to use them, and the color is that wierd light blue - which isn't that big of a deal until you try and but the red cover over it and it's sort of a washed out purple. I just picked up one of the blue $25 ones from spirit to test it out and it is much higher quality. Metal housing, switches between strobe and always on. I'll test the brightness compared to the Lowes one tonight but I'm pretty sure it's a lot brighter.

But for the ultimate cheapness look through the led lighting threads here. Getting super bright individual leds off of ebay and running them with wall warts is very cheap, but it's probably a bit late to start that project. I use over a dozen mounted to stakes with heat shrink tubing over them to hide them and they work really well for individual lighting of tombstones.

·
Registered
46 Posts
So I tested the Spirit Spot light and the Lowes LED light, and to be honest the Spirit light is TOO bright. Blinding compared to the DIY wiring up of leds, and significantly brighter than the Lowes ones. Just FYI.

·
Registered
306 Posts
So I tested the Spirit Spot light and the Lowes LED light, and to be honest the Spirit light is TOO bright. Blinding compared to the DIY wiring up of leds, and significantly brighter than the Lowes ones. Just FYI.
I got some of the one's from Spirit too. I agree, they are bright, but they are a spot light. I did some minor mods by removing the cover over the LED's and replaced it with just a piece of Plexiglass. Viola, from spot to flood. To light tombstones up close it may still be overkill, but it was perfect for my usage. Take a look at the pictures below of our top balcony:

Original Spotlight LED Cover

Lights 1.jpg

Plexiglass cover

Lights 2.jpg

We are keeping the spotlight cover on the light on the bottom as we want it to shine on a wreath my wife made that is hanging on the door.

·
Registered
265 Posts
On a tip from someone here on the forum (sorry, I forget the name) I picked up about six battery powered LED desk lamps from the 99 cent store. I sanded the plastic lenses and added some green and red plastic to color them. They were all white in color but I painted them black. I tried them out the other night to see how they looked in my graveyard and I have to say that I am very pleased with the results. Here are some photos of the lamps:

LED lamp light off.jpg
LED lamp light on in darkness.jpg

·
Registered
478 Posts
I got some of the one's from Spirit too. I agree, they are bright, but they are a spot light. I did some minor mods by removing the cover over the LED's and replaced it with just a piece of Plexiglass. Viola, from spot to flood. To light tombstones up close it may still be overkill, but it was perfect for my usage. Take a look at the pictures below of our top balcony:

We are keeping the spotlight cover on the light on the bottom as we want it to shine on a wreath my wife made that is hanging on the door.
That looks great! Can you post a picture of the light with your modification? Just so we can see what the modification looks like.

·
Registered
478 Posts
On a tip from someone here on the forum (sorry, I forget the name) I picked up about six battery powered LED desk lamps from the 99 cent store. I sanded the plastic lenses and added some green and red plastic to color them. They were all white in color but I painted them black. I tried them out the other night to see how they looked in my graveyard and I have to say that I am very pleased with the results. Here are some photos of the lamps:

View attachment 179906
View attachment 179907
How did you color the lamps? And which 99 cent store did you go to?

·
Registered
306 Posts
That looks great! Can you post a picture of the light with your modification? Just so we can see what the modification looks like.
Sure. I have another thread where I'm discussing this mod I did where I plan on posting pictures so everyone can see what and how I did it. Once completed I'll post a link to it here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts