Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to pass along. I ended up getting a Torpedo dark room projector off of ebay for around $100. I tried to find it in stores but no go. I probably went to like 10 different targets & walmarts.

The quality of this projector is very good. Of course, the darker the better but it's perfect for our halloween use!! I did a Madame Leota setup. Worked like a charm!

The quality isn't HD or anything like that but for Halloween prop use it more than measures up. I turned on the lights in the room and used it. You could still see the image fairly well. The reviews on this thing are very good too (that's what sold me on it).

I would say this is a definite buy cause the cost is well below the cheapest projector I have seen out there. Personally there is no way I am putting an $800 or more expensive projector outside. and plus for what I paid...I could end up getting 8...oh, the projects I would do...muhahaha!!!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hey Billman, thanks for the advice! I've been contemplating getting a projector for my yard haunt and that price is great =)

I read on ebay that it can be hooked up to video game consoles, video cameras and digital cameras, but it didn't say anything about DVD players or PC's. Do you know if this can be done?

Thanks!

~Heidi~

·
Registered
76 Posts
I read on ebay that it can be hooked up to video game consoles, video cameras and digital cameras, but it didn't say anything about DVD players or PC's. Do you know if this can be done?

Thanks!

~Heidi~
It only accepts a composite video connection (yellow RCA jack) and analog audio. As long as your PC and DVD player have these connections, you should be fine.
The reviews I've seen on this are all over the place:
Buyer Beware: World's Crappiest Projector Reviewed
Torpedo Projector Reviewed
As long as you don't set your expectations too high, you probably can't go wrong for $100.

Mark

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Billman, thanks for the advice! I've been contemplating getting a projector for my yard haunt and that price is great =)

Thanks!

~Heidi~
yeah, it accepts RCA plugs. like so:

There are all sorts of converters out there...so you can basically hookup any device. USB to RCA:

...3mm to RCA...and so on..I saw you can even hookup an iPhone. This gives all sorts of possibilities to set this thing up.

I think it's true with all the bad reviews on this thing...they are expecting some sort of HD quality from a cheap projector. The "screen door" effect is really evident if you blow this thing up to a full wall size...smaller sizes not so bad.

IMHO for what we do...it is perfect and best of all cheap!!

·
crossfit zombie
7,490 Posts
I was on ebay the other night and a projector was priced at buy it now with free ship for 360.00 it has 2500 luminus(or whatever they are called).It was of course a china made projector that came with 2 spare bulbs.The seller for the product on ebay at 100% postive feedback with many refering to the projector.The store was digital galaxy NEW BRAND VIDEO PROJECTOR FOR DVD,WII,XBOX360,TV,LAPTOP - eBay (item 270325294625 end time Feb-01-09 18:13:29 PST)
I already have a cheap projector but would love to have something with a little more light.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice Find!! I would use that in my house but never put that outside. Risk of theft or damage..$360 to me is too much money to chance on one thing.

that's another thing...as far as bulbs. If you have to ever buy one, they are really expensive.
That torpedo uses a standard 35w halogen bulb you can get at any home improvement store.

I bet you could put a better/stronger bulb in it. It would probably be even better. But really if you are using it just for outside at night..it should be good enough...

Now for projecting onto the whole house that projector would be the better deal.

·
Registered
355 Posts
yeah, it accepts RCA plugs. like so:

There are all sorts of converters out there...so you can basically hookup any device. USB to RCA:

...3mm to RCA...and so on..I saw you can even hookup an iPhone. This gives all sorts of possibilities to set this thing up.

I think it's true with all the bad reviews on this thing...they are expecting some sort of HD quality from a cheap projector. The "screen door" effect is really evident if you blow this thing up to a full wall size...smaller sizes not so bad.

IMHO for what we do...it is perfect and best of all cheap!!
Thanks so much! I didn't even know that converters like that existed! Oh the possiblities >=)

·
2,620 Posts
Check out craigslist. I've bought four projectors in the last six months at a price of between $25.00 - $150.00. They all work great. All of them had low hours on the bulb and one even came with an extra bulb.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice find Scartinker!! reminds me of the pico projector ...they even have them built into cell phones now.

Pico:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
remember to keep an eye on the resolution.

Ebay projector from china ( 800 x 600 pixels )

Torpedo projector ( 960 x 240 pixels )

Mini AV LED Projector ( 480 x 240 pixels )

·
crossfit zombie
7,490 Posts
Well I ended up buying one for 342.00 with free ship(glad hubby is getting a bonus-he is also talking of building me halloween building outside).
Hope it is a good product.I bought a cheep one and it works well inside.But I plan on using this one outside with a singing pumpkin dvd projected onto pumpkins and was afraid that the cheaper one would not work well.
Now I will have to protect it from the cold wheather, I will build a box to put it in and of course bring it in everynight.I will post when I get it.
Now I need to buy another dvd player.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
make sure that you get some ventilation in that box you build..All projectors heat up pretty quickly.

Also, the torpedo I have..I have used outside..no problems...

·
crossfit zombie
7,490 Posts
make sure that you get some ventilation in that box you build..All projectors heat up pretty quickly.

Also, the torpedo I have..I have used outside..no problems...

Cold where you are at? I am afraid the cold would damage it.Normally in the fall the weathers not that bad maybe 47 degrees at night and high 50's in the day.So if its that temperature I feel safe that it would be ok.This year however was different 47 for the highs and in the low 30's at night.
Has anyone left their projector out in colder weather ?
OHHH and the projector shipped today.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cold where you are at? I am afraid the cold would damage it.Normally in the fall the weathers not that bad maybe 47 degrees at night and high 50's in the day.So if its that temperature I feel safe that it would be ok.This year however was different 47 for the highs and in the low 30's at night.
Has anyone left their projector out in colder weather ?
OHHH and the projector shipped today.
You should be fine...just give some ventilation in the box. The cold will help. Cause when I say it gets hot...it really gets hot. I made the mistake once with an overhead projector type of display put in a box. It got so hot that it conked out.

You could always put a thermometer in the box and check the temp.

·
crossfit zombie
7,490 Posts
Got it today boy that is fast I just ordered it sunday.I plugged it up and it worked great.The only thing I have to compare it to is the cheap sharper image one.So I don't know how it compares to others but for half price of others I am satisfied.Crisp-bright picture.I will try to post a video when I get it back out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts