Halloween Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received mine today. Much heavier than the one from monster guts. (this one does not say continuous as the one on monster guts).

I'll try mine tomorrow. I bought 2 of these for SEVENTEEN DOLLARS & NINETY EIGHT CENTS!!! From here https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=5-1712&catname=electric

6 RPM 115 VAC INLINE GEARMOTOR
New, MERKLE-KORFF model 3720UP-265 shaded pole gearmotor. Flats on either side of the shaft that are 3/8" long from tip of the shaft towards the bearing.

SPECIFICATIONS Speed 6 RPM
Voltage 115 AC
Amperage 1.6 Amps
Torque 120 in.-lbs.
Rotation CW
Duty Intermittent
Mount Four 10-32 tapped mounting holes on 2-3/8" square centers
Shaft 1/2" diam. x 1-1/16" w/ flats
Size 3-1/2" x 2-3/4" x 5"
Shpg. 5 lbs.
Item# 5-1712

Our Price $8.99

Here is the monster guts numbers & cost.

Monster Guts
Alternate Motor

R.P.M. 5
Horsepower .05
Torque 50
Shaft Diameter 5/16
Power 115AC
Mounting Screws 10/32
Connection Wire Leads
Price

·
Funeral Crasher
7,469 Posts
I'm hoping you know that motor is an intermittent duty motor, meaning it shuts off when it gets hot and then re-starts after it cools down.
I'm using a small muffin fan on one to make it recover quicker.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dang, of course I just tossed my reindeer after last X Mass.

The term intermittent is in their nomenclature, thanks for the calcification on that. I was curious.

·
that dude ain't right
620 Posts
It runs for 10 min before it over heats. I bought one to replace my rotisserie motor. Not too happy with it. Can move a house, but only for a short time. Thing gets VERY hot. I let it run with no load to see before I started to de-construct my FCG. Glad I did. Stays down for a while once it heats up too.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sik,

The reason it stays hot for so long is its mass. All those windings and armature account fo a lot of metal! A small muffin-type fan might help it stay on longer. Otherwise, I'd bite the bullet and buy another rotissierie motor. You know from experience that they'll do the trick and stay running as long as you want. Sorry for you having to learn the hard way that intermittant-duty motors are to be avoided.

Ron

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.