Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
that dude ain't right
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I see alot of threads about these, but few have pics. So, I figured I'd help out the new guys. This cost me about $15, and 10 min.

1. get a cheap motion activated security light, 2 socket/outlet convertors, and an extension cord.

2. Put the socket/outlet things in.

3. Cut the end off of the extension cord.

4. Connect the cord to the light. Be sure to secure the connections well.

EDIT: Tanks Runfromron. On a standard zip-cord extension cord, the wire that is striped is the common (white) and the smooth wire is the hot (black). So, hook up the wire with the ribs to white wire, and the smooth wire on the extension cord to the black.

5. Notch the base so you don't pinch the cord.

6. Mount it on a piece of wood. This has enough weight to keep it right side up and stable.

7. Now plug in the cord, and plug your lights into the sockets.

Now adjust the time/ sensitivity and enjoy. This one has a min of 4 sec on time. I know this is a very simplified version of a well known hack, but some people out there aren't very electrically inclined.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is great. I made a grave grabber last year but burned up the motor from funning so long. I never thought of this idea. Duh.

Thanks from a newbie.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Awesome! Thanks so much! I love all these tutorials with pictures! Even I could do something like this!

Question: What are some of the ways you use a motion sensor light in your haunts?

·
that dude ain't right
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Question: What are some of the ways you use a motion sensor light in your haunts?
The sky's the limit. Sensors and switches are the key to most of the big scares. You can have an actor in a dark corner that lights up when the TOTers pass by. Or a prop that starts to move when the kids are near. Anything you can imagine can be done. It freaks people out when they look at a graveyard scene, and the lighting changes to a chilling blue, or red as they pass by.

·
that dude ain't right
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, and it also helps when hooked up to big white lights on the nights before the big night. Nothing says "Don't steal me" than a bright light on a dark night.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wondering where you found that motion sensor flood light? Just came back from Home Depot, and all of the lights I found had a minimum 1 minute ON time, which is far too long for my use.

Thanks!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Looking at your picture (where you connected the cord to the light) how do you know which cable to connect to the white cable and which to the black?

I don't do much electrical work primarily because I am not knowledgeable in that area. That being said, I have put in things such as ceiling fans with remotes as long as I have directions.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I'm curious as Mark is. I was wondering what wire when to what wire. My other question is, can I plug my pnuematic spider into this and have it work? Will it set off the solinoid? That way if it ran for a couple mins that would be great.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts