Halloween Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've searched and subscribed to many many projector discussion threads. People recommend new budget low lumen short throw projectors and high lumen long throw used projectors and everything in between.

I'm looking for something pretty specific: a relatively high lumen (greater than or equal to 1000) DLP projector that has a usb input. My research shows that DLP projectors are excellent at displaying deep blacks. This is important since we're usually projecting videos with lots of black space around them in our displays. But of course, the best DLP projectors are home theater projectors (JVC etc) you can buy used for cheap on ebay.

Instead of that, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with a more budget DLP projector that also has a usb/sd card input to avoid the need to buy a vga converter plus micca speck? Budget is $100 or less. Recommendations welcome.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Projectors are always a source of conflicted discussion. :) My advice is always to keep what your end game is in mind. High-end, high-lumen, projectors are built to cast a very bright, high-contrast, high-resolution image 20-35 feet in a brightly-lit conference room. If you are including a brightly-lit conference room in your haunt, these projectors are just the ticket for you. If not, then they are a serious waste of $$$. In fact, they can also work against you because of the excess light creating problems. This is especially true when doing window projections as the screen gets grayer the brighter the projector is. What you need is not the highest-lumen projector, nor the lowest. You need one with the right lumens for your application.

My pick is still the Discovery Wonderwall unit. It is cheap, about $25-$45 on ebay, it does require AV cables, but it's also small and light. Most importantly it puts out enough light to project on a window screen but not so much that it floods the room with light. There are also a lot of InFocus units you can buy cheaply, but they are bigger and heavier.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts