Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A recent e-bay find by one of the forum members in which he managed to pick up a great looking coffin for £20.00 got me thinking as to just how cheaply I could make something similar.
My chance came when our neighbour discarded some old bedroom furniture.
I salvaged the plywood from the draw bottoms and the back of the unit, and although there wasn't enough to make a full sized coffin, I managed to come up with this groundbreaker. All the rest of it was made from bits and pieces and leftovers around the workshop.

The coffin was lined with weed supressing fabric.
The corpse was made from a couple of pieces of 22mm pvc pipe, an old foam skull and corpsed with celluclay, paper mache and wood stain. Ribcage was made using rolled up newspaper and card.
The only purchase was a red fireglow lightbulb. the bulbholder was from the "bits box" and the power lead was salvaged from a discarded standard lamp.
This is the effect with the light on....

Ok..so it's maybe not Hollywood quality..but for the price of a lightbulb, I ain't complaining. I actually think it looks quite effective when it's lit up, but my photography does suck majorly.

Just want to say a quick word of thanks to Ruggerz, who's e-bay bargain gave me the idea for this exercise in thrift.

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
Looks good to me! I can see two or three of these in the graveyard, maybe with an arm reaching out. Too many ideas, not enough time...

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I made a coffin for free from some hallow core doors I got for free off of Craigslist.
Yeah..it's amazing what you can turn junk into with a bit of inspiration from Halloween forum.
"One man's trash is another man's treasure" as the saying goes...

·
Funeral Crasher
7,443 Posts
Hey, it looks great, Baron! Did you make the skeleton inside the coffin also? It looks awesome!
I see the little statue is crying over the deceased. Or is she trying to hide her laughter? I can't tell.....
Thanks for the pics!

·
Hauntless
8,371 Posts
You know, that little guy is scary! With it tucked away in the bushes the way you have it, that would scare a kid but good!

Dave, I agree with you. That angel is laughing her head off ;)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Great use of available material! I love it when people get creative and use what's available. Well, except for that hack Yardhauntjunkie. ;) That would also make a great shiatsu massager prop.

Just kidding Yard! Don't throw rocks. They hurt. :D

·
Shadow box dancer
1,441 Posts
Great use of available material! I love it when people get creative and use what's available. Well, except for that hack Yardhauntjunkie. ;) That would also make a great shiatsu massager prop.

Just kidding Yard! Don't throw rocks. They hurt. :D
Since pretty much everything I make is free, and I am constantly campaigning for people to take advantage of free stuff, I am willing to have stones thrown my way. Hopefully someone will be inspired by my cheapness. :)

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
That is great...now all it needs is a shiatsu massager making it jerk around in there. Love the vines and leaves around it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts