Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would start a discussion on buying cheap candy for Halloween. Right now CVS has 50-75% off certain candy bars. I bought Reeses PB Cups for 35 cents each. I also seen a big bag of snack size candy bars for $7.50 which was half off. It was a pack of 60. They also had king size bars for 55 cents but I'm hoping they will go lower. If they go to 90% they will only be 25 cents. I try and give out full size candy bars and the cheaper I can get them the better for me.

I also do Ibotta. Since March I have accumulated $220. Walmart always has great Ibotta deals on items you would normally buy. Ibotta also has candy deals. Over the summer I bought sour rope stuff. Normally $1.50 and with a sale and Ibotta I got it for 50 cents. It's a big package.

Savingstar is also a good one. I have $30 on that one.

$250 will definitely help with my Halloween bills LOL

They are easy apps on your phone. You scan your receipt then the items. With Walmart you usually don't have to scan the items.

If I hear of anymore deals I will let you know. If anyone else hears of deals please let us know. Every little bit helps.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I love Ibotta. The money goes to my Paypal account, then pays for my Spotify account.

I'm buying full size candy bars for the kids that actually make it to the front porch this year. Heck, there are probably adults who won't make it either. I don't do over the top gory or scary, but people around here are real wimps.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love Ibotta. The money goes to my Paypal account, then pays for my Spotify account.

I'm buying full size candy bars for the kids that actually make it to the front porch this year. Heck, there are probably adults who won't make it either. I don't do over the top gory or scary, but people around here are real wimps.

LOL where do you live ?

·
Registered
563 Posts
LOL where do you live ?
Farmville, NC
Very small town. I know people around here think I am nuts, but I do have a group of transplant friends who get me haha
I am doing a spider web tunnel up to the house this year. It is mainly for the party we throw. Halloween night I always have to station a family member at the front gates of the cemetary because there will be a group of kids/parents who won't make it to the house.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Farmville, NC
Very small town. I know people around here think I am nuts, but I do have a group of transplant friends who get me haha
I am doing a spider web tunnel up to the house this year. It is mainly for the party we throw. Halloween night I always have to station a family member at the front gates of the cemetary because there will be a group of kids/parents who won't make it to the house.

How are you building the tunnel ? I want to do one. I bought the HD spider last year discounted and a tunnel would be fabulous.

·
Registered
563 Posts
How are you building the tunnel ? I want to do one. I bought the HD spider last year discounted and a tunnel would be fabulous.
I am using the metal frame from a Harbor Freight garage. Also have 10 lbs of beef netting. I plan on projectingspiders crawling all over it.
I liked walking through the covered bridges at Busch Gardens that they covered in spider webs during Hallow Scream.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I decorate big on Christmas also and do lighted archways down my sidewalk. I was thinking of doing that as a spider tunnel. I have the beef netting also. Whats stopping me is how difficult will it be LOL.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
We use the Ibotta app as well and have accumulated quite a bit of spare change with it. Not sure exactly how much as hubby has it on his phone, my phone doesn't have enough memory on it to have the app myself.

We have a bent and dent grocery store here and I can usually get candy fairly cheap there. Though you have to really look at how much past the expiration date the candy is. Got some Almond Joys one time for myself there and they were starting to taste stale. We really don't have a lot of places in town to shop for bargain candy so I have to buy a bag here and a bag there and spread out the cost over time rather than dropping down big money all at once. Still spending the same amount even with spreading out the buying, but it's less of a shock seeing how much I spend when it's spread out over time.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We use the Ibotta app as well and have accumulated quite a bit of spare change with it. Not sure exactly how much as hubby has it on his phone, my phone doesn't have enough memory on it to have the app myself.

We have a bent and dent grocery store here and I can usually get candy fairly cheap there. Though you have to really look at how much past the expiration date the candy is. Got some Almond Joys one time for myself there and they were starting to taste stale. We really don't have a lot of places in town to shop for bargain candy so I have to buy a bag here and a bag there and spread out the cost over time rather than dropping down big money all at once. Still spending the same amount even with spreading out the buying, but it's less of a shock seeing how much I spend when it's spread out over time.

I buy over time also. I get around 250 TOT and make bags for them with a full size candy bar and a koolaid burst. And depending on the color of the burst I will label it zombie juice, vampire blood, or witches brew. The kids actually hesitate before they pick it up, it's pretty funny. So for the past 6 months I've purchased a few bursts every month. It's not as wallet shocking that way for sure

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Never heard of Ibotta. Gotta check it out!

I buy my treat bag candy immediately after Easter of 75% off clearance. I stick to things with a good long shelf life and store the bags in a cool dark place: Skittles, Nerds, Sixlets, lollipops and SpongeBob Krabby Patty gummies. I also bought some Dove individually wrapped dark chocolates, but for some strange reason, those all mysteriously disappeared months ago. ;)

As soon as the Costco/Sam's Club full sized candy bars go on sale, I'll get a box or two of those along with a box of assorted chips. I NEVER buy the Halloween packaged chips since those usually contain less than half the amount of the non-holiday packages. Always check the price per ounce!

TOT's get a choice of treat bag, full sized candy bar or chip bag, I am always surprised at how many kids choose a 25¢ chip bag over a ~$1.50 treat bag or full sized candy bar.

This year, I'm also offering metal "biker" skull rings in individual ring boxes which I would expect to be a big hit with older TOTs. (55¢ each)

·
Registered
263 Posts
I went candy bars last year. I found the fundraiser pack at sams club the best fit. I did have a couple of spare bags that i had to use, but not much from them. I think the sams pack had 57 bars, prob had 65 kids.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've been buying candy that doesn't expire until 2020 for about 8 months. I have about 100 non-chocolate items that I bought on sale. In a few weeks Costco will put candy bars on sale and will let me return unopened boxes. Last year we had about 140 kids. I expect we will have more this year.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I've been buying candy that doesn't expire until 2020 for about 8 months. I have about 100 non-chocolate items that I bought on sale. In a few weeks Costco will put candy bars on sale and will let me return unopened boxes. Last year we had about 140 kids. I expect we will have more this year. View attachment 719777
I think I want to come to your house to Trick or Treat. :giggle:

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Farmville, NC
Not so small. Was in your town a lot in high school! Nice people!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I am using the metal frame from a Harbor Freight garage. Also have 10 lbs of beef netting. I plan on projectingspiders crawling all over it.
I liked walking through the covered bridges at Busch Gardens that they covered in spider webs during Hallow Scream.
Um...are you me?!

Seriously though I have my beef netting ordered and I’m trying to figure out how to construct my tunnel. Do you have a link to the frame you are using? I have not seen one that would give the shape I want yet. Sidewalk is probably 25 feet long and tunnel would be maybe 5 feet wide.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Um...are you me?!

Seriously though I have my beef netting ordered and I’m trying to figure out how to construct my tunnel. Do you have a link to the frame you are using? I have not seen one that would give the shape I want yet. Sidewalk is probably 25 feet long and tunnel would be maybe 5 feet wide.
Um...are you me?!

Sorry been absent a few days. I travel around for work.
This is a photo of the frame. The whole thing is $200, but I"m just leaving the plastic cover off of the metal frame. It was my Freak Show 2 years ago.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
About 3500 people. We have managed to get 2 gas stations and 2 grocery stores haha. It is a very nice place to live for sure.
About the same size as my town. You got one more grocery store than me. But yes, a small town does help budget on Halloween candy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts