Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone! Heres a doll prop I threw together last night.

I was wondering around the local thrift shop and found this little case for 4 bucks and doll for 3 bucks. I had the motor that I ordered after seeing someone using them on this forum. The motor is a 12v DC i think 5 rpm motor that were like 4 dollars each. I order a bunch so I used one for this. I also got a power supply from the thrift store for .99 cents.

·
Registered
5 Posts
THANK YOU!!! I am running low on ideas for the theme this year (We are actually doing a Haunted House theme after x years of everything but) This is a great idea as I have more motors left over and the doll would be great in a doll room theme in the house...You did a great job, AND THANK YOU for the last minute idea!!!

·
Open up and say "Aaaaahh"
1,562 Posts
Love it! Very nice job. I do have one minor suggestion, yu can either take it or leave it, but I would detach the dolls arms, leave them in thier sleeves of course, and glue the hands to the lower case half upper rim so it looks like the doll is opening the case herself. Either way I congratulate you on a very fine prop indeed!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone!

Doc your right about the the arms, that would make it look way cooler if she was lifting the lid up. I love! Ill see if I can get the glass arms off and mount them to the lid. Thanks for the idea!

Also a good idea, you can never go wrong with a little blood!

The the link for the motors is the second post, but here it is again. They shipped pretty fast too!
Surplus Center Item Detail

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Very nice! A question, I just bought a few of them and wanted to know how to attach he arm to the motor.

I've got a coffin on its way and wanted to do a similar effect.

Also, do you think it's possible to run this motor via battery? I'm trying to cut down on cable runs.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You could run the motors of a 12 volt battery, how long the battery would last would be the question. Its just a little rc car type motor inside with a bunch of gears to geared it down to the slow rpm. Can't think it would suck too much power.

As far as mounting to it, on this one since it wasnt moving to much weight and I just kinda threw it together i took a small piece of 1/2 inch pvc drilled a hole in it and then used a blow torch to heated it up tll it was soft. I then forced it over the splines on the motors output shaft and let it cool. It was then a perfect fit and I glued.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pretty Simple, I took the doll and cut it in half as you can see and then just took the hair and tied a knot and pushed a screw threw the knot and screwed it to the top of the case. In the video you can kinda see the screw poking thru (ive since filed it down).

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay so I took the arm off and attached it to the lid so it looks more like the doll is opening the lid peeking out. The arms are a little short compared to how big the head is. What do you think? Better?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Simply amazing. I think by raising her arm it really makes it just that much more eerie.

It reminds me of the types of props they have on display at Disneyland's California Adventure "Tower of Terror" ride. If you've never been, its all old props from The Twilight Zone and they're creepy...to me at least.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
One other question, how did you attach the spring? I was trying to figure it out while I was at my local hardware store but couldn't come up with anything.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I took a simple "L" bracket i got from the depot and zip tied the spring to it and then screwed the bracket to the side of the case. at the top I put another screw but didn't screw it all the way in so the top of the spring would stay some what in place. The motor is strong enough to left the lid but I put the spring in place so it doesn't slam down. Heres another view of the spring.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts