Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone been using these cheap Chinese 3W RGB spot lights? How did they hold up? I bought a few of them and plan to try them in this holder I found at Big Lots for $4.
20151011_104828.jpg

20151011_104913.jpg

The lights fit in the fixture very, very, snug and would think will keep the weather at bay. I figured for $8.xx total light and fixture I'd roll the dice on these to highlight tombstones or other props.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have not had any experience with these but please keep us posted on how they work for you. I would be very interested to know what you think and any pictures of several different colors. These lights look to be a good size and as you mentioned should be fairly good against the elements. Thanks for you post.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try and get some pics tomorrow night. My initial take is they are fine for single prop lighting. Was more light then expected but it should be used as a highlighter to other lights.
Curious about the stake spotlight holders you mentioned. Will they keep the weather out? These lights do not look like they will endure a wet enviroment.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not going to have time tonight so I took a few quick pics this morning. Light was approx. 4-5 ft away and produced a strong spot. I'm impressed for the price. Only time will tell if they'll hold up to outside use. I believe the light fixture will need to be weather proof.

20151012_061633.jpg 20151012_061648.jpg 20151012_061659.jpg ATTACH=CONFIG]262311[/ATTACH]

Attachments

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have had these lights or similar led lights for the past couple of years. I use the exact setup you are using. My lights have a remote to change the colors and I can actually fade the colors to any hue in the color spectrum. They also have different settings pre programmed that will change the colors like dancing Christmas lights. I am very happy with these lights. I have not had any issues with the weather affecting the integrity of the light. There are two issues worth noting. One issue is actually with the ground stake. You must remove the rubber weather sleeve that keeps the water from getting into the fixture. Unfortunately this is necessary because you can't get the light bulb into the ground stake with the rubber in place. Now, by removing the rubber it creates another problem of allowing water to pool inside the ground stake fixture. I have actually poured water out of each fixture after it has rained or after my sprinklers activated. I was concerned that the water would cause the fixture or the bulb to rust over time. But that has not happened. I have had these lights for three years now. The second and biggest issue with this setup happens when the water pools in the fixture while they are on. When the water gets in, it will trip your GFI and you will need to pour out the water and reset you GFI. This has happened to me numerous times because I have my sprinklers set to activate at 10:30 pm several days a week. If you don't have GFI outlets it will probably trip your breaker when they get wet. These particular lights are more of a spot light type of light. They are different than the older flood light single color lights. The flood lights will light a greater area than these led lights. I just compensated by using more led lights.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks SS..... glad to hear they will not be a one and done. You may want to take a closer look at my pics in my OP. The rubber sleeve you indicate needing removed are still intact on mine. In fact, its almost as if it was designed for this light. It is very snug and you have to push the led into the socket making it hard to twist in but a little work at it and you have a very well sealed light.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Upon further inspection I realize mine are not exactly like yours. Mine are a larger diameter and they are almost flush with the outer edge of the yard stake housing. The rubber would not allow me to screw the bulb in and it wouldn't stretch to fit around my bulbs. I can barely screw them in even without the rubber. I almost have to screw them in using the palm of my hand due to the lack of grippable area. Mine also have a metal housing on the bulb itself. I will try to post a pic later so you can see what I'm referring to. But I bought mine on eBay from China. These are the ones I purchased. I paid $5.40 each back in 2013. I bought 10 of them and only actually use about 5 of them. But it's good to have back ups. That's awesome that you can get yours in without removing the rubber. It will solve the problems I pointed out in my previous post. I wish I could get mine in with the rubber intact, it sure would make life easier.

image.jpg

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'm also interested in picking up a few of these lights (the 3W spotlight version). Can someone explain to me the differences in the bulb shapes? For example, the following ebay auction shows three similar E27 bulbs with slightly different shapes. They're all 3W spotlights with the same lumens as far as I can tell, but I can't figure out what the difference is besides the shape of the lens. Can anyone who owns these clarify?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E27-E14-GU10-B22-16-Color-RGB-Spot-LED-Bulb-Light-Lamp-Remote-Control-3W-9W-12W-/252042690183?var=&hash=item3aaeea3e87

·
Registered
488 Posts
Also, for some of these in the single white color only option, they have 60 degree and 120 degree beam angles. Which would you all recommend for a spotlight?

·
Registered
436 Posts
I'm also interested in picking up a few of these lights (the 3W spotlight version). Can someone explain to me the differences in the bulb shapes? For example, the following ebay auction shows three similar E27 bulbs with slightly different shapes. They're all 3W spotlights with the same lumens as far as I can tell, but I can't figure out what the difference is besides the shape of the lens. Can anyone who owns these clarify?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E27-E14-GU10-B22-16-Color-RGB-Spot-LED-Bulb-Light-Lamp-Remote-Control-3W-9W-12W-/252042690183?var=&hash=item3aaeea3e87
Ok. They are all E27 bulbs. The "E" stands for Edison, which is the type of thread. Edison or "E" type bulbs are the standard size used in the U.S. The 27 is the width of the threads in millimeters. So the width of the bulb threads is 27mm. This size is interchangable is the U.S. . The standard bulb size in the U.S. is usually E26, but E27 is interchangable. The bulb shapes are different in length in the auction you posted a link to. There is a 3w-1, 3w-2 and 3w-3, all of which have different lengths. The only real difference is the over all length of the bulb. Any of these three bulbs should work in a standard light socket.

Reactions: Jottle

·
Registered
436 Posts
Also, for some of these in the single white color only option, they have 60 degree and 120 degree beam angles. Which would you all recommend for a spotlight?
The 60 degree should be better for a spot light. The 60 degrees refers to the area of coverage when the light is shinning. So a 60 degree light will be more concentrated than a 120 degree beam. The 120 degree angle will light up twice the area that a 60 degree angle beam will.

Reactions: Jottle

·
Registered
21 Posts
i have 10 of the 3w rgb. been using them for 3 years now and haven't had much trouble with then, the only thing is you can turn them off and on in like a sequence cause the will change to different colors.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Reload, Do you possibly have a link to the bulb you purchased ?
Here is where I got mine but he's out of stock. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RCLPLIQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s01 You can find them all over amazon or ebay. you're not going to find much difference in them at this price. Warning, make sure you read what you are buying and from where it is being shipped. If its coming from China or Hong Kong do not expect delivery for 3-4 WEEKS. Also, I've noticed some advertise a cheap price but don't include the battery for the remote. No biggie as the batteries are cheap and one remote will work on all of them.

Are you looking at spotlights or floodlights? I would have no use for a white one but 60 degree or 120 degree is pretty self explanatory. A spotlight would be used to put light on a particular spot so IMO the smaller beam (60 degree) would do that and should have a stronger beam because the light is concentrated in a 60 degree beam instead of 120. The 120 degree is going to give you broader light and cover a larger area but more defused. What are you trying to light?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts