Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do this at your own risk

built my second hangman this year. My first one was [email protected]

I am not really mechanically incline so I had a hard time wiring and finding a power source for my first hangman which i used a wiper motor i got from a junk yard. so when I got it to work it was too slow and didn't seem to make a noticable movement.

these instructions are for those who want a hang man but don't know how to do anything other than drill holes and screw bolts.

I built this in about 1hr at home yesterday. So here goes.

in total so far this Hangman cost me $10.

Items needed.

zip ties(free had it at home)
wood ( free had it at home)
fan ($10)
clothes(free at home)
fishing weight (free had at home)

I bought a used fan from my local savers store (same thing as a goodwill but cheaper)

exactly like this one for $10 bucks

1) I took off the stand from the fan. and opened up the fan case to get access to the fan paddles or whatever their called.

2) i took a hacksaw and cut off two paddles. was pretty easy.

3)I then drilled two holes into the corners of the fan paddle at the tip end farthest away from motor.

4) i then attached a 3oz fishing weight to it using the two holes with zip-ties. choose your weight. too heavy fan won't have enoguh power to rotate. i originally attached a 1 1/2 lb weight. that didn't go well

5) note do make sure that with your weight attached that it clears everything when it rotates. I rotated with my hand to make sure it clears everything.

6) put case back together and plug in to test to make sure it works properly.

7) now cut your wood however you want to build your legs and arms. I had 2x4 at home and used my own body for reference and measured my body parts roughly. I split the 2x4 into two down the middle longwise and cut two thighs, two shins, two forearms, two biceps and shoulder/collar section.

8) the lines in the previous picture represent the zip-ties and the points of where I connected the limbs. I drilled holes in the wood to attach them. (you can use whatever material you want and whatever way you please to build the body your imagination is the limit) this is what i did you don't have to follow me exactly. on some parts i looped 2-3 zip-ties to make the joints connect.

9) now it's time to attach the limbs to the fan. just drill holes where ever and zip-tie them together. do keep in my to make sure everything cleared the propellar (that's the word i was looking for)

10) now dress him however you like and bam you have a hang man.

11) for the head I have not attached it but i'm pretty sure you can figure something out. I have not decided what I am doing yet but might get a styrofoam head or maybe make a head form out of tape and wadded up newpaper. cover it with a mask or a burlag sack. like i said the possibilities are endless.

12) now how to mount the guy. I would use to pieces of rope. one that connects to the shoulder/collar piece directly and once for the noose just for decoration. see pic (i suck at drawing but pic is profile view of the prop)

now your done. I hope I didn't leave anything out but hope this help all you haunters. if you have any questions just ask i will answer as best i can.

a couple of side notes.

the fan i bought had 3 speeds. with the weight i used i had to put it to power level 3 to work with the weight. level 1 & 2 wouldn't work unless i helped the propellar start by spinning it. once it got momentum it was fine.

also I have only tested my hangman without clothes and shoes but so far it shakes to my liking.

I know there are better designs out that have an awesome realistic motion. so this might not compare to those.

but over all all you had to do was cut, drill, and bolt. easy. The plug and power source is all included to no splicing need.

have fun

·
Registered
205 Posts
a vid wouuld be great .. mayby showing both versions sid by side so wh could see the improvment,, you might want to cut some small holes in the backof the shirt to give the fan air so it wont overheat

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good idea on the hole for the fan. i haven't tested the hangman w/ clothes yet. I will try to take a short video for you guys as soon as i can. I think I will work on him tomorrow.

·
Registered
147 Posts
LOL, finally an animated project i could maybe build -- thx so much for posting and looking forward to vid.

PS: Fans at my local (Idaho) Target were all on clearance at 50% if anyone is thinking of doing this

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry guys. was out of town at knott's scary farm and disneyland also busy working. Will try to get a vid up soon

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well I tried it with PVC since I didnt have wood on hand, and that didnt turn out because PVC was just too flimsy so here I am with a few 2x4's I will let you know what happens!

·
Registered
8,161 Posts
Wow great prop. I'm thinking I need to fit this in before the party. I really need to stay off of here I am finding way too many ideas.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well I built mine today using the same fan. I found them new at Target for $11.99. I think I might have put too much weight as it smoked the fan motor after about an hour. Good thing Target has a good return/exchange policy!:D:
Otherwise it works perfectly. I went to my local Spirit store and splurged on a pair of four arms. It makes it look all the better. I have it hanging in my front entryway with a red flood light pointed at it. I will get a picture or video of it this weekend. Thanks for the how too! :)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts