Halloween Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a bottomless pit, but I'm need a cheap one-way mirror. Rather, I want 2 one-way mirrors - one for the top and one for the bottom, so that I can eventually put a scare under the bottom pane.

I've been looking around for one-way mirrors, but holy crap, they're expensive. I don't care if it's plastic or glass, I just need something that's cheap and works well. Anyone got any suggestions?

Have you ever made your own?

I'm hoping for two 24"x24", I don't care how thick (or should I).

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
On a related note:

Along with building this, anyone know what these type of lights are called? Where I could find some?

·
Registered
519 Posts
When I get started on my mirror project I'm going to try sheets or rolls of Mirror Tint for car window from a car store like pep boys, if not there some where on line.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,638 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Sorry passed right over the light. Outdoor lighting at Home Depot or Lowes. Not sure how much they are but if to much, maybe a empty 2 liter soda bottle with the lable off, a nite light bulb it one end. Spray the bottle with some sort of Frost spray. Make the Cage with solder or
metal strapping on to a wood base. Oh you could cut the bottle in half.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,638 Posts
Along with building this, anyone know what these type of lights are called? Where I could find some?
Light Bulb Safety Cage or sometimes boat/bulkhead lights I think.

http://www.laststoplighting.com/fluorescent-grid-bulkhead.html

Amazon.com: Metal Cage Ceiling Mount Light, Aluminum: Patio, Lawn & Garden

No idea about the safety of the first website, but that looks pretty close to what your drawing was. I am not seeing the oblong shaped wall mounted ones in any of my searches but I've seen the ones you mean...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
http://www.lowes.com/pd_88148-74130...=0&x=0&storeId=10151&ddkey=http:SearchCatalog

This is what most haunters use. It's cheaper than a big mirror, the stuff can be repositioned I believe and it works on glass or plexiglass... you just need to get some plexi in the sizing you want and put it on.
Has anyone ever tried this? I'm afraid, even though it's tinted, that it won't work well.

Sorry passed right over the light. Outdoor lighting at Home Depot or Lowes. Not sure how much they are but if to much, maybe a empty 2 liter soda bottle with the lable off, a nite light bulb it one end. Spray the bottle with some sort of Frost spray. Make the Cage with solder or
metal strapping on to a wood base. Oh you could cut the bottle in half.
Metal strapping on a wood base... good idea!

Light Bulb Safety Cage or sometimes boat/bulkhead lights I think.

http://www.laststoplighting.com/fluorescent-grid-bulkhead.html

Amazon.com: Metal Cage Ceiling Mount Light, Aluminum: Patio, Lawn & Garden

No idea about the safety of the first website, but that looks pretty close to what your drawing was. I am not seeing the oblong shaped wall mounted ones in any of my searches but I've seen the ones you mean...
Those are pretty darn close. Are those really $151... holy cow!

Now I need to find the ones like those on amazon (almost) for cheap/free.
--------------
We're going to do a Mine-shaft endless pit, so I'm going for anything mining-oriented around it. It's a small set up, but any other ideas are appreciated. I'm way excited to get the material and start building!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lancekik - I want to go cheap, but it looks like - from your pictures - that you can tell right where the mirror is. How noticeable is it in person?

Anyone else do this and have sample pics??

·
Registered
205 Posts
well for the pic i had the bulb on steady.. but on halloween I had it flickering & you could not see the sharp edge as well , but the reacurring pattern still gave it away if you payed attention..

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Still looks good! Thanks! I'm pulling in a lot of people's ideas to make my own!

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
Even with a real mirror, you will be able to tell if you look really closely where it ends. It is a halloween prop, no one will notice. Trust me. I also used the mirror tint. Here are pics of 3 of mine. These, by the way, are my ToTs favorite props, hands down.

BTW, yes, you want to make sure the plexiglass is thick enough to not bend. It has to be sturdy.

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
lancekik, no it's not good, it's GREAT!!! LOL Yes, it is GreatStuff expanding foam over the lights. Thanks. But I don't want to hijack this thread. Sorry.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay... I'm convinced. How thick do you think the plexiglass needs to be? Is .098 inches thick enough? Is 1/4" too thick?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts