Halloween Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed to control my new Chauvet 1300 Hurricane fogger using a Boobox Pico Boo F104.

I looked around the forum and saw a number of posts on the Fitco and cheap timers. Those are very helpful, but my new fogger has DMX control with a 5 pin connecion to the fogger.

The PicoBoo Controller is a very simple DC controller with 2 Relay outputs and 2 minutes of sound. The important thing is that the Relay outputs will handle 120volts which makes this mod very simple.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!! This mod will use 120volts of electricity! This tutorial is only recommended for someone who has a basic understanding of electricity.

The fogger in question:

The challenge I had, was that I only needed to make a very short burst of fog. It is all controlled by a pressure mat on the PicoBoo. I couldn't find any information on how to work with the remote timer (5 wires in there and this thing is brand new, so I didnt want to take too big of a chance)

As I looked at the fogger, I noticed that it had a momentary button to manually produce fog. These types of buttons basically just close the circuit to fire off fogger.

The red FOG button in the middle of the case is where we are headed.

UNPLUG THE FOGGER
UNPLUG THE FOGGER
etc....

There are 10 very small screws on the outside of the case that must be removed to get to the guts. The handle does NOT have to be removed to gain access.

You may have to loosen the fitting holding the fog juice tube to remove the cover. Mine was hand-tight and very easy to release.

Make sure you have UNPLUGGED the Fogger!!!

This next picture shows the back left side of the fogger. This is where all the wiring is at.

Look for the bunch of white wires that go through the back panel to the FOG button, and then trace them back to the circuit board. Mine ended in a small white plug with some red marking on it.

The plug end is barely visible in the upper left corner of this picture. It is the top-most plug, but you shouldnt have any problems following the wire from the back FOG button to this plug.

Unplug the wire from the circuit board, then remove the FOG button. There is a sort of release on the top and bottom of the FOG button that both need to be pressed, then the button and the wire will exit out the back of the fogger.

Looks like this when removed.

The wire is only about 12-14 inches log. I have just placed it on top of the fogger to take a picture.

What we need to do now, is strip a small amount of the wire from each side of the pair. We are going to solder a NEW piece of wire that will eventually go to our controller (or remote button, or whatever).

There will be 120 volts going through this wire so I HIGHLY recommend you STOP right now if you dont have any experience with Electricity.

I soldered my new wire to this control wire and routed the new wire out the back of the Fogger to my controller.

It is very hard to see in this photo, but the Black Wire running 'north and south' is the new wire.

I have mentioned that we are working with electricity here, so before I tested, I put the entire fogger back together again (in reverse) to make sure there was no chance of getting shocked.

About the only possible thing someone may find a little tricky, is that when you are putting the FOG button back in, you must feed the wires in from the backside THROUGH the hole, then push the button in place and put the wire back on the circuit board.

To test, once the fogger is plugged in, all you really need to do is quickly touch the ends of your new control wire together and you should get fog.

Mine were connected to my PicoBoo and worked like a champ.

I hope this help someone else who is trying to slip a quick prop in at the last minute.

·
Psychomaniac
623 Posts
Good work. I'm not sure how the 1300 works but the 1250 and most other foggers cycle the heater on until it reaches operating temperature and then don't reheat it until it falls back down. If you're only fogging on demand you might find that when triggered, the fogger immediately goes into reheat mode and disables the pump. Just something to be aware of.

Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you're only fogging on demand you might find that when triggered, the fogger immediately goes into reheat mode and disables the pump. Just something to be aware of.

Mike
Open Track-thanks for the tip. I think I have seen on my other (cheap) foggers.

The 1300 has a continuous mode and I havent seen it the reheat problem yet. So far, I am really impressed with the fog output as well.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Where is the DMX on the H1300? Didn't see any DMX option there.. but if there is one, did you look at maybe using DMX instead? It might be more costly tho, but I bet there is DMX switches out there somewhere, or info on how to make a simple DMX controller that could control the fog burst, duration, etc.

Does the H1300 have a volume output knob like the VEI v960 and V3000? That is pretty nice.. didn't know they added that. If only Chauvet hadn't screwed up on the 1250s last year I'd consider them again. I am looking at Antari or American DJ at this point.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where is the DMX on the H1300? Didn't see any DMX option there.. but if there is one, did you look at maybe using DMX instead? It might be more costly tho, but I bet there is DMX switches out there somewhere, or info on how to make a simple DMX controller that could control the fog burst, duration, etc.
I'm not using DMX in my haunt yet, and even if I did, the prop this was designed for is a Pirate Cannon triggered by TOTs stepping on a pressure mat. I thought this tutorial may help others in the same situation.
Does the H1300 have a volume output knob like the VEI v960 and V3000? That is pretty nice.. didn't know they added that. If only Chauvet hadn't screwed up on the 1250s last year I'd consider them again. I am looking at Antari or American DJ at this point.
The 1300 does NOT have a volume output on this model. It is supposed to be able to provide continuous fog, and from what I have seen it is more than capable of filling up my garage, and my front yard in a single burst of roughly 25-30 seconds. I chose this fogger because I wanted the TOTs to be able to be able to fire this off without having to wait for a fogger to warm up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts