Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Master Crypt Keeper
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think that charity is very important. You may see banners sometimes from Halloween For Charity - We Care that are run as a reminder.

I know most members here are very giving and share the same thoughts about helping those who are less fortunate.

Let's attempt to start a new tradition:

$1 is enough. More if you can. Choose any charity and give $1 or more to your favorite charity. Or food...or time...or anything that can help.

Giving not only helps those who really need it, it is beneficial to you too! It makes you feel great knowing that you can make a difference.

The challenge is to give more each October.

How big can we make this thread? How many people will take the challenge? Can you give at least $1 (or time or anything) to your favorite charity THIS MONTH? If you gave $1 last year, you should give AT LEAST $1.01 this year. Part of the challenge is to do better every year.

If you do not wish to share who you give to say X instead.

For instance...if you give to Red Cross...say "I promise to give to Red Cross".

If you do not want to share who...say "I promise to give" or "I promise to give to X".

Do you take the challenge? Can we work to make a big difference this year? Just think if even half of us give. Some will only give $1, some can give $100 or more. The challenge is to just give what you can.
Our version of the shamrock!

·
Master Crypt Keeper
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I promise to give to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
I have 2 regular charities that deduct contributions from my salary monthly...children's hearrt fund and Orange babies.
I also used the money I would have given out on a secret reaper gift to sponsor Glass eye and special olympics.
At my work we have a choice of receiving a christmas gift or giving that money to charity. I pledge to give it to the red cross this year.

MsM

·
Master Crypt Keeper
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok...I know that there has to be somebody out there that is actually willing to give at least $1 to charity this month. (I really hope).

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,308 Posts
I actually gave to my local animal shelter, Goodwill and food bank this month (items and $). :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
I give money off my paycheque to Amnesty International and Shelter each month, but..

I promise to give at least $1 to Cancer Research UK.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i dont do actual "charity"
but every year i get the word around and help people out by either giving away old makeup, making them masks, or doing free face make ups on halloween in my neighborhood who cant either get there own costume or never could find one

·
Master Crypt Keeper
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome. I think that purposely helping others that are in need are in need or less fortunate is charity.

I am very happy to see activity on this thread :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
My haunted maze this year actually has a donation box for The Wishing Star Foundation. Last year was my first year doing the maze in our backyard and people showed up with money! I was amazed! NEVER did i imagine people thought they had to PAY to go through someone's backyard! So this year we stepped up our efforts and are doing 100% proceeds to the charity. We will see how it goes!

·
Good Ghoul Gone Bad
747 Posts
For the past 2-3 months, I have been fundraising about 3 days per week for a local licensed non-profit charity, called Coltor Cares. Coltor was a 6 year old boy who lost his battle with cancer, and this will be our 5th annual Halloween carnival and silent auction. I'm making a cake and pie for the silent auction, cupcakes for the concession stand, and I'll be working at the carnival - it's this upcoming Friday.

I don't have very much money, but I do have time, and that's what I've been donating. Hopefully that counts equally. I've never volunteered for anything before, and it's been a wonderful experience and I'm super excited about the carnival.

·
Registered
823 Posts
every year on Halloween day the High school near our house have a program that send student door to door to collect food for the local food bank and they have to come 2 student to be able to go back with our 2 full bags of food .
At X-mas it's the same thing . Beside the other one i give when i can .
i promise to put one more bag of food this year !

Frenchy

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
Well, I don't typically do 'formal' charities.

However, so far this year, we built the Laboratory specifically for a school's fundraiser. Ended up bringing in $153, breaking my own school record from last year.

Since then, we've been asked to set it up for a car show (I'll be loaning it out, not acting that night) proceeds of which go to the local food bank, and as a special program for a special needs class (expanding the script, and adding some other 'experiments' of homemade rootbeer and caramel corn brains).

I've also been involved for the last several years with a special needs school as well, children typically with epilepsy, among other things. And have made the house specifically safe as it can be for epileptic children. The school makes an annual trip out to trick or treat, I typically pick up the bussing tab. This year, that's having to be Friday night, so we're doing a full on costume an extra day just for the school.

·
The Mrs. to a MysterE
2,362 Posts
Hallow all - We have a "Haunt for Hope" bin we will be setting up this year. Guests to our party have been invited to bring food to share as we will be collecting canned goods for our Free Store Food bank here in Cincinnati. The next night - we host the neighborhood "After" party, starting when trick or-treat ends at 8 PM. We get about 200. The neighbors have been encouraged to bring canned food for the Food Bank. Since MysterE and I both work in the Not-for-profit world, we spend all year helping many charities. With all the people coming to our haunt this Halloween, it just seemed natural . Besides - nothing is more scary than being hungry.... Happy Haunting all and BOO!

·
Registered
450 Posts
We typically help the Human Society and Horse/Dog rescues (up to 7 horses and 6 dogs -- lost one dog recently to illness).
:_ (

·
~zombie hunter~
3,346 Posts
This year we are going to do "Haunt 4 the Holidays"

Boxes in christmas wrapping paper will be the drop off spot for parishable foods, coats and books and toys.

T

·
0 Posts
we give every year to St. Jude Children's Research, ASPCA, and Oldies But Goodies Cocker Rescue...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts