Halloween Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we have been doing the whole scary Graveyard with gouls,zombies,animatronics, pop up's and stuff like that but we decided to change it up after this year
We are going to do a circus theme next year. Creepy clowns and all kinds of crazy things. If anyone has any ideas for animated props or creepy things that might fit in please share. We have all year to make this happen.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I'm just one of those guys who's never understood the whole clown thing. My kids know a gal who goes into total freakout mode if she sees a clown or even a balloon, but she's the only person I know who's actually afraid of clowns. We did do a Pennywise from It this year, but once we got him done we looked at him and said "yeah, this isn't scary at all", so we had to cut away part of the face and create a subface underneath with the creature skin showing through.

As for the circus/carnival thing, that's always a challenge too as I see lots of folks making creepy ticket booths or entrances, and then... nothing. There just aren't a lot of manageable props that can be made for these environments that I've seen. Aside from making like creepy game booths, or refreshment stands, there isn't much.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see what u r saying however clowns done right with correct lighting and sound can be very intimidating. Couple with a creepy ticket boot, life sized jack in the box, a kissing booth with a animated girl with mouth sewn shut, and of course an oddity exhibit would make for a scary setup imo.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
It's super scary for some folks, but totally not scary for many others. This is why I'm generally against themed haunts all together. :( Our haunt has always transitioned through multiple settings. Like this year we go from a spider room, to a haunted room, to a Universal Monsters room, to werewolves, to the Creeper from Jeepers Creepers, to Michael Myers, to Pennywise the Clown from It, and then out to the street. That way we can usually get a scare out of everyone who comes through.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So what ideas to make just a Graveyard themed outside haunt better and not so generic. I'll post pics of our display when it's final to get some advice. I want to scare not only with triggered prips but ambiance

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
If you want to do the clown/carnival theme I say go for it! Anything can be scary if done right! Lots of folks on the forum have done scary clowns and done it very well. Go to the picture gallery and search for clown and carnEvil and see what props have been done by members.
You're never going to please or scare everyone so don't try. Instead, do what pleases you!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Combine the two! I can tell you that clowns frollicking in a graveyard at night would freak me out.

Eric

·
Registered
618 Posts
I know a lot of people who find clowns unsettling, if not exactly "scary" in the traditional sense. I can see how normal clowns, in the right setting, might give someone the creeps. What I've never understood are the deliberately "evil" clowns, like the ones with fangs, blood dripping off their faces, etc. That just screams edgy and tryhard to me, not genuinely frightening or even off-putting.

ThinkGeek is selling a clown version of the scary window peeper this year. I have the regular version from Grandin Road, and it's scared quite a few people (including me, embarrassingly enough, as it startled me a few times last year - looks great behind frosted glass, or other decorative glass).

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ilul/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts