Halloween Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Undertaker
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Folks......

Its that time of year again....... The winter snow is gone, the grass is turning green and the sun is shining; we all know what that means......Don't we?? Yes that's right ! Time to go shopping for Halloween props at the local cemetery....Cha-CHING !

All the winter wreaths, stands and memorial candle holders are being throw out and are perfect for Halloween Haunts. What's better than the real thing? That's right NADA ! Most veteran Haunters are aware of the spring season prop giveaways but some of our new comers are unfamiliar with the tradition.

Every cemetery has an area reserved for dumping all the stuff acquired during the winter; usually in the far back of the cemetery. This includes but is not limited to wreaths, flowers, stands, statues, candle holders, remembrance lights, broken headstones and other cemetery items that are to be disposed of.

Remember to scout the area during the day light hours. Its very helpful to draw map to the area in question and be sure to carefully mark out an escape and evade route. It is highly recommended that you restrict your shopping hours to the early morning hours, usually after 3:00 a.m. and before sunrise. It is always preferable to shop during moonlit nights. Do not use a flash light.

Just remember to stay clear of any "active" grave sites(active, that's funny). Don't break off the bronze candle holder to grandma's grave. The locals generally get very upset over this. Its actually a lesser charge in most LOWcals(not to be confused with calories) to commit Malicious Destruction of Private Property, MDOP, a misdemeanor than stealing grandma's bronze candle holder, a 10 year felony.

Good luck and Happy Haunting !

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,572 Posts
Our cemetery doesn't remove the broken headstones. They do clean up though by just mowing over it all.

I do have the pink granite urn that came from my great-grandparents headstone though. After about 30 years the "glue" just gave up & it came off so I brought it home. I always thought it was made into the stone but it was a separate urn just stuck on it.

·
Undertaker
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Our cemetery doesn't remove the broken headstones. They do clean up though by just mowing over it all.

I do have the pink granite urn that came from my great-grandparents headstone though. After about 30 years the "glue" just gave up & it came off so I brought it home. I always thought it was made into the stone but it was a separate urn just stuck on it.
Well that's cool. Its something you can look at and remind you of them.

·
Undertaker
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have noticed that cremation is the "in" thing lately. Naturally I would notice this because well....Oaklawn Crematory...How could I not?

Its cheaper and great for storage........

The funeral homes are not thrilled with it nor are the home haunters.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Well Folks......

Its that time of year again....... The winter snow is gone, the grass is turning green and the sun is shining; we all know what that means......Don't we?? Yes that's right ! Time to go shopping for Halloween props at the local cemetery....Cha-CHING !

All the winter wreaths, stands and memorial candle holders are being throw out and are perfect for Halloween Haunts. What's better than the real thing? That's right NADA ! Most veteran Haunters are aware of the spring season prop giveaways but some of our new comers are unfamiliar with the tradition.

Every cemetery has an area reserved for dumping all the stuff acquired during the winter; usually in the far back of the cemetery. This includes but is not limited to wreaths, flowers, stands, statues, candle holders, remembrance lights, broken headstones and other cemetery items that are to be disposed of.

Remember to scout the area during the day light hours. Its very helpful to draw map to the area in question and be sure to carefully mark out an escape and evade route. It is highly recommended that you restrict your shopping hours to the early morning hours, usually after 3:00 a.m. and before sunrise. It is always preferable to shop during moonlit nights. Do not use a flash light.

Just remember to stay clear of any "active" grave sites(active, that's funny). Don't break off the bronze candle holder to grandma's grave. The locals generally get very upset over this. Its actually a lesser charge in most LOWcals(not to be confused with calories) to commit Malicious Destruction of Private Property, MDOP, a misdemeanor than stealing grandma's bronze candle holder, a 10 year felony.

Good luck and Happy Haunting !
We have a cemetery behind our house. Literally, I can walk right from our back yard into it no fence even. In fact I wandered back there when we had our big snow this year, Too bad it's one of those boring ones that just has plaques on the ground. Oh and if I did pilfer anything it'd be kind of obvious if I used it as I am RIGHT THERE.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts