Halloween Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my husband helped me convert two literal pieces of my neighbor’s trash to a giant candelabra. I plan to paint it matte black, maybe add a crow on top and some creepy cloth. It’s nothing special but I love repurposing trash to something new. I’m having the most difficult time finding flickering flame chandelier bulbs. Every search, I end up with E12 candelabra bulbs which are way to small or the LED medium bulbs that are shaped like torch lights and are way too big. I’ve searched these archives, walked stores, showered boxes of bulbs I have at home for a hint, and ordered the wrong sizes more times than I care to admit. I honestly am embarrassed to post and ask for help, but I’m at my wits end and ready to put this back by the street. Can anyone help me before I loose my mind over d$mned light bulbs?!
Property Wood Interior design Door Wall

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
¹
So my husband helped me convert two literal pieces of my neighbor’s trash to a giant candelabra. I plan to paint it matte black, maybe add a crow on top and some creepy cloth. It’s nothing special but I love repurposing trash to something new. I’m having the most difficult time finding flickering flame chandelier bulbs. Every search, I end up with E12 candelabra bulbs which are way to small or the LED medium bulbs that are shaped like torch lights and are way too big. I’ve searched these archives, walked stores, showered boxes of bulbs I have at home for a hint, and ordered the wrong sizes more times than I care to admit. I honestly am embarrassed to post and ask for help, but I’m at my wits end and ready to put this back by the street. Can anyone help me before I loose my mind over d$mned light bulbs?!
View attachment 765146
Sweet mother of ... I had a whole thing typed up on my stupid tablet with the crappiest keyboard ...

That is not what you asked for, but those look fabulous and I need them now that I saw them. I vote to rewire the fixture to take these or something like them. I don't know if these are big enough but this page has a good reference on what the socket and bulb sizes for xmas lights looks like:

Other bulbs I have bought include Normal Base, Narrow Column (E26). Normal Base, Flame Shape (E26). Candelabra Base, Flame Shape (E12).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Measurements would help. Not all bulbs come in flicker flame.
The bulbs in the chandelier are 3.5 inches. I can’t seem to find the right size base. Maybe flicker flame bulbs don’t come in the size I need
¹

Sweet mother of ... I had a whole thing typed up on my stupid tablet with the crappiest keyboard ...

That is not what you asked for, but those look fabulous and I need them now that I saw them. I vote to rewire the fixture to take these or something like them. I don't know if these are big enough but this page has a good reference on what the socket and bulb sizes for xmas lights looks like:

Other bulbs I have bought include Normal Base, Narrow Column (E26). Normal Base, Flame Shape (E26). Candelabra Base, Flame Shape (E12).

thank you!! I’ve ordered the E12 and the base is too small. But I do like the Christmas bulbs! I may just pull the wiring out and add battery candles 🤦🏼‍♀️

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,971 Posts
I know you said you've been to actual stores, but did you try a lighting exclusive store? It may be that a brick and mortar store that ONLY carries fancy lighting may have more knowledgeable sales people. I'm used to just checking things online and maybe going to someplace like Lowes/Home Depot now, but in this case, a specialized place might be worth a shot.

Do you have any bulbs that fit the sockets at all? I would be tempted to take the whole thing in to try bulbs in it. That fixture looks like an 80s builder grade one, so someone has to know what type of bulbs it takes. I hope you can find something because the overall look is really nifty and it would be such a shame to throw it out!

·
Registered
524 Posts
It would be helpful if you told us the diameter of the base (screw portion) of the bulbs you have now. They might also have the size on the base portion of the bulbs in tiny letters. If the candelabra bulbs are too small, then they are probably C7 bulbs which is what some christmas bulbs are.

·
Registered
Prop Building
164 Posts
I'm guessing there is covers for those lights? C7 / E12 / Candelabra Base Bulbs is my guess but without measurements it's hard to know for sure.

If they are shrouded, I would upgrade the socket to a E26 that way you can put in an awesome full sized flame bulb in there.

If you are REALLY handy, you could turn the whole thing into a low voltage lamp with a external transformer by rewiring the whole thing to use the internals of said flame bulbs. It would also reduce heat as there is less transformers.

A bit of personal plug, but you can see what I do on my Eva foam/3d printed torches using flame bulbs, where you can see how I break down the internals to run on a 9v battery! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Neat! Hopes you can get it working in time for Hallowe'en! Personally I would get some LED flicker units if you want a realistic flame effect: 5mm Round Top Flickering Candle LEDs Combine three LEDs per "candle" and you'll get a nice simulated flickering flame. This is, of course, assuming you (or someone you know) has knowledge of electricity/electronics, and have some facility with a soldering iron. Good luck and happy haunting!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts

those might be too small these are standard I believe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts