Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I need help! im trying to come up with a great chainsaw prop. I'm wanting to use a Mcculloch chainsaw (older version) because of the wide bar like in the movie. And I'm wanting to recreate the saw but I dont want to take the chain off cause that blows it all so what i was think is to mold the bar with chain on it in clay and then pour fiberglass into it and cast it then paint it to spec. and then drill two holes to fit on to the chainsaw. The only problem is I've never done anything like this before and I didnt know if someone had some better ideas or could help or if anyone has a prop chainsaw bar and chain I could buy
(don't comment on the plastic fake ones they blow the whole horror idea)
Thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
i would take the chain off.for saftey reason's at night no one will see if the chain is on or not..you can also add extra 2 cycle oil to the gas so that the exhaust shots out alot of white smoke..i also remember wacthing a dvd from netflix's on building huanted house's...the guy had a chain saw he hooked a cable to a car battery and then to the bar..then he would run the chainsaw along a metal fence causeing the battery to arc to the fence creating sparks it was cool for a night time effect....

but if you want to keep the chain on you can have someone spot weld the chain on,and most chain saws have a safty so the moter will run but the chain wont spin or maybe take it apart and disengage the clucth so that the chain wont work????

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
chainsaw

what im trying to do is make a fiberglass model of the bar and chain together and then paint it to spec. and therefore it looks real but I never thought about disengaging the clutch well I'll see does anyone have a good Mcculloch I can use (buy) Near liberty,NC

·
Obssessed Haunter
3,039 Posts
We use a chainsaw..... and having the chain of, doesn't blow the effect.
they ONLY hear the sound, see the saw but don't care that the chain is gone. They are to busy RUNNING!
So I wouldn't worry about the chain missing. Unless your not going to start it. Then they won't be startled and so the may SEE that the chain is gone. But then, if its not started then that blows the whole thing anyway.
Anyway, my 2 cents..... I wouldn't worry about the chain being gone.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I find this quite interesting. For the people that use real chainsaws, do you ever have people get upset about it? It seems to me like one level down from scaring people with a real gun that has had its bullets removed.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I completely agree with Lynn's post...the chain missing will have nothing to do with the scare! It's the sound of a chainsaw that gets the reaction you're looking for, we use one in our haunt without the chain and trust me...no one is looking for the chain when they're running from the sound...lol

plus the safety factor of the no chain is a very important thing as well, accidents can happen....remove the chain.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I find this quite interesting. For the people that use real chainsaws, do you ever have people get upset about it? It seems to me like one level down from scaring people with a real gun that has had its bullets removed.
Universal Studios Halloween Horror Nights use real chainsaws (no chains). So, I guess if they do it, then it should be ok.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Universal Studios Halloween Horror Nights use real chainsaws (no chains). So, I guess if they do it, then it should be ok.
I see your point, but I would trust a well known name a little more than I would trust something like this at some strangers house.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts