Halloween Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Friends,

At my haunt, you exit the building to one final enclosed outdoor scene - the last scare is me with my gas chainsaw (yes, chain removed). I have ended my haunt this way for four years. Three out of those four years, I have blown out the pisons on the chainsaw and had to replace the saw. By the end of the night it sounds like I am waiving a boat moter over my head!!

I make sure that my gas and oil mixture is correct, if not a little on the heavy side with oil, and I put oil in the chain case compartment even though there is no chain running. Does anyone know if running a saw without the chain is known to kill them?

If so, does anyone else who uses a chainsaw have advice for how I can avoid them burning out? Thankfully I have been able to exchange twice but I've still wasted about $240 on them dying. The only thing I can think of is that I am not breaking them in gradually enough (only letting them idle for about 30 minutes before starting to work with them). HELP!!

I've been using the 33cc Poulan Wood Shark seen here - http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-O...splay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hello,

I work for a haunt and we burn through 1 chainsaw every week. We haven't been able to figure out the problem either. We have 4 going every night and at the end of the night 1 of them is always burned up. No idea why

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello,

I work for a haunt and we burn through 1 chainsaw every week. We haven't been able to figure out the problem either. We have 4 going every night and at the end of the night 1 of them is always burned up. No idea why
WOW -so glad to hear that it is not just us!! That is insane!!! The only thing I can think of is that the chain is somehow feeding oil back in somewhere - or that because there isnt the resistance of the chain trying to cut through something that the motor is working too hard for such a simple task of just reving up with nothing to do. Thanks so much for the reply!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
We've used the same chain saw in our haunted house for 3 years now and it has not burned out, always with the chain off. It gets almost zero use the rest of the year, but it started out its life as a prop after it was well broken in. Ours is a Husquvarna, but I am not sure if that would matter or not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
spirit

Spirit Halloween had some realistic chainsaws (sound realistic) an have a fake chain at night they make look real espicaily if painted black

·
The Duke of Spook
1,976 Posts
Over revving.

A two stroke, air cooled engine depends on gasoline to cool it (I know that sounds funny, but trust me). Cool, vaporized gasoline entering the crank case significantly drops the engines operating temperature. When some whacko (no offense) is running around chasing people and revving the hell out of the thing while it is not under load with no chain, he's doing two things:

1. He's likely pinning the throttle, if even in short bursts to get the desired effect, causing the engine to rev at an average RPM level much higher than it was designed run at
2. The engine is not under load, which not only keeps the RPM's down to level it is designed to handle, it is NOT drawing in more gasoline and oil which in turn cools and lubricates the engine

To put it another way:

Under load cutting wood = Lower RPM's and more fuel and oil to cool and lubricate
Texas Chainsaw Massacre = Higher RPM's with less fuel and oil to cool and lubricate, destroying the machine

·
Registered
627 Posts
This isn't the first time I have heard that you can damage the chainsaw if you don't run a load (a chain on it). I don't know why either.

Three suggestions.

1) I wonder if you put a regular chain (without the cutting nubs on it) if that might be enough of a load to avoid burnout.

2) Go Leaf Blower. I have been hearing that this is just as effective as a chainsaw (provided you use a gas powered one). The only thing is that you need to exercise extra caution that you don't accidentally blow the leaf blower directly at people. While that may be tempting as a scare, it is dangerous.

3) Gas weed whacker with the wire removed. I have not tried this, but I could only speculate that if someone dresses up as Michael Myers and goes after someone with the weed whacker, that person probably will RUN!

Hope that helps.

Geo

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ive used an electric chainsaw for a decade with props. It lends itself very well to a remote control to start and stop the saw at the right time. If your not moving to far it would probably work well for you.

·
Scariest guy on the block
1,963 Posts
Could you try turning down the governor on the saw to keep it from going up too high in RPMs?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Running the saw without the chain is over revving the saw, causing it to run up to too high RPM's. That is one problem. The other problem with running without a chain is when you release the throttle it takes too long to wind down to lower RPM's. The chain not only slows it's ascent into higher RPM's but it also decelerates the engine quicker. If you use one again try this. Don't run it wide open and run it in shorter bursts.
Try running an electric chain saw without the chain. Not as loud but can be just as effective.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Yes, everyone else has hit on the problem. Don't rev it up so high. That throttle stop is there for the saw with a load on it. You're over-revving it. Might be fun but is also expensive. If the store you buy them from finds out what you're doing your warranty is cancelled and you have an almost new paperweight for your desk.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Use the brake after you are done scaring people with it. This may help.

This is a fabulous idea that somehow never crossed my mind. After I would shut it off I could hear the disc that would move the chain (if it was on) still spinning until it slowed down on its own. Wow, feel a little silly now but I will be sure to do that this year! Thanks!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does anyone use a chainsaw for actually tree cutting purposes? I was wondering what people recomend in terms of breaking-in a brand new one. A google search revealed that there is no real answer - many people say dont break it in, take it out of the box and use it like it was meant to be used - others say let it idle through a tank of gas, and others say let it idle for a bit and then slowly ease on the throttle for a few seconds, and then let it idle again for a few minutes and slowly work it in. Any advice? Too many opinons on the web to make sense of it...

G

·
Hello Friends,

At my haunt, you exit the building to one final enclosed outdoor scene - the last scare is me with my gas chainsaw (yes, chain removed). I have ended my haunt this way for four years. Three out of those four years, I have blown out the pisons on the chainsaw and had to replace the saw. By the end of the night it sounds like I am waiving a boat moter over my head!!

I make sure that my gas and oil mixture is correct, if not a little on the heavy side with oil, and I put oil in the chain case compartment even though there is no chain running. Does anyone know if running a saw without the chain is known to kill them?

If so, does anyone else who uses a chainsaw have advice for how I can avoid them burning out? Thankfully I have been able to exchange twice but I've still wasted about $240 on them dying. The only thing I can think of is that I am not breaking them in gradually enough (only letting them idle for about 30 minutes before starting to work with them). HELP!!

I've been using the 33cc Poulan Wood Shark seen here - http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-O...splay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051
Hmmm, I have no idea, but my neighbor used his chainsaw last halloween, and it stopped working halfway thru the night.

He used his weed wacker after that...different vibe, still scared kids. :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
I don't think it is as important to "break in" a 2 cycle engine as it is a V8 4 cycle engine. Even with the V8 engines, back when I was racing stock cars, we only ran them in the shop long enough to tune them up good. Then we would take them slowly to high RPM's then idle a few times. Of course we never ran more than half a season on them, rarely a full season, but we didn't blow too many up.
The 2 cycle engine oils differently so in my opinion beak in is not as important. Just start them, let them idle a minute or two, slowy bring to a high RPM then go to work with it if it concerns you.
One other thing to keep in mind with 2 cycle engines. The oil gas mix must be right. To go a little heavy is fine but there is a risk of fouling the plugs. The biggest problem I have found with 2 cycle engines is people who keep the gas mix around. With todays gas additives and oil, 2 cycle mixed gas is only good for about 90 days. After that time the gas breaks down the oil. I have found many weedeaters that are less than a year old burned up. They looked like there was no oil, but I have come to the conclusion that the gas broke down the oil too much.
Make sure you have fresh gas and oil mix each use! Don't try to carry mix over from year to year. After about 90 days dispose of it and start fresh, or if nothing else add a little more fresh oil to the mix!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't think it is as important to "break in" a 2 cycle engine as it is a V8 4 cycle engine. Even with the V8 engines, back when I was racing stock cars, we only ran them in the shop long enough to tune them up good. Then we would take them slowly to high RPM's then idle a few times. Of course we never ran more than half a season on them, rarely a full season, but we didn't blow too many up.
The 2 cycle engine oils differently so in my opinion beak in is not as important. Just start them, let them idle a minute or two, slowy bring to a high RPM then go to work with it if it concerns you.
One other thing to keep in mind with 2 cycle engines. The oil gas mix must be right. To go a little heavy is fine but there is a risk of fouling the plugs. The biggest problem I have found with 2 cycle engines is people who keep the gas mix around. With todays gas additives and oil, 2 cycle mixed gas is only good for about 90 days. After that time the gas breaks down the oil. I have found many weedeaters that are less than a year old burned up. They looked like there was no oil, but I have come to the conclusion that the gas broke down the oil too much.
Make sure you have fresh gas and oil mix each use! Don't try to carry mix over from year to year. After about 90 days dispose of it and start fresh, or if nothing else add a little more fresh oil to the mix!
Best post yet!! Thank you so much! I'll break it in enough to make sure that everything is flowing through good and lubed up well but not kill myself over it. I think the oil mix may have been too heavy at first - and I was def guilty of using old gas. I think you nailed it on the head with this one. I will be sure to dump what I have and make a fresh batch the day before we open, and then get rid of it after halloween so I remember to start fresh in 2013. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge, im sure the old gas and over-reving was what did her in. Thank you!!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Like I said, I don't know if this is your problem or not with the gas oil mix. Over revving might still be an issue without the resistance of the chain, but the chain spinning on the centrifugal clutch won't add a lot of resistance. Like I said I have pulled apart several fairly new weedeaters that looked like they had no oil mix. When talking to the owners they all had the oil mixed for 90 days or more before using it.
Hope it helps!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts