Halloween Forum banner

Your cemetery?

• Non -existent :(

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Small and cozy:)

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Large and spooky :D

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • The most awesome house of the dead you have ever seen!

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to add to my cemetery but instead of with more flat headstones I was wondering if anyone knew of a good material to carve some statue headstones out of? Like the figures or angels in a real life cemetery? I wanted them to be stonelike so I was thinking about glueing several pieces of foam together and working from that but I was wondering if anyone knew of a better way?

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,855 Posts
Why not just go to a garden center and find a nice angel or cherub (or even a gargoyle) to paint up?

I have seen several great angels on pedestals that were repurposed with a little gray/black paint and water (water down the paint, run it into the recessed areas, and pour more water down to simulate aged stone).

I picked up a sweet little praying angel at Home Depot for $15. She is about 2 feet tall and I'm using the base to a birdbath I already own. She looks amazing now that I painted her.

I checked out a cement statuary center and they had all sorts of gargoyles, angels and other stuff that would look fantastic in a graveyard.

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why not just go to a garden center and find a nice angel or cherub (or even a gargoyle) to paint up?

I have seen several great angels on pedestals that were repurposed with a little gray/black paint and water (water down the paint, run it into the recessed areas, and pour more water down to simulate aged stone).

I picked up a sweet little praying angel at Home Depot for $15. She is about 2 feet tall and I'm using the base to a birdbath I already own. She looks amazing now that I painted her.QUOTE]

That's a good idea :) I was just hoping to get something a bit bigger. Do they have statues bigger than 2'? I've never been to a cement statue place, i'll have to find one.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Look for large dolls too that you can add wings to and monstermud into angels if you want something big!

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,855 Posts
Different stores have all sizes of angels, I've seen some almost lifesize! You'll stand a better chance of finding a good one at a statuary store than places like Wally World or Lowes/Home Depot, but they have carried larger angels at one time or another...

or like the others said, monster mudding a doll or sculpting your own is always an option!

·
Mourning Rose Manor
2,318 Posts
I would check Target on clearance. They sometimes have some great items. Here's a pic of my "re-purposed" angel. My aunt gave me the angel and I bought the pedestal on clearance at Target and then re-painted them to match last year. As for carving goes, I'm too intimidated to attempt that. I want them to be beautiful and elegant. I would make a mess of it.

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,111 Posts
I used a local concrete yard ornament place and since it was off season, I tried to work a deal on a couple of concrete columns (I'll post a picture after I get home). They would have cost me about $80 in the spring or summer, but got them both for $45. I'll use them in the graveyard to add some height and display a jack-o-latern and possibly an urn or another ornament. The taller of the two has a piece of pvc tube right through the middle and this will allow me to run electrical right through it to the point I want light or something like that.

The pieces are heavy and I'm not worried about them going anywhere fast or far! Added bonus there!:D

·
Registered
13,781 Posts
I would check Target on clearance. They sometimes have some great items. Here's a pic of my "re-purposed" angel. My aunt gave me the angel and I bought the pedestal on clearance at Target and then re-painted them to match last year. As for carving goes, I'm too intimidated to attempt that. I want them to be beautiful and elegant. I would make a mess of it.

Thanks for posting all your pics. It is so helpful to see what others have done and I liked seeing the various stages in your tombstones.

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pandora - your statue looks great with the red light on it! Very spooky! It would be really cool if you filled the basket with skulls or something

1 - 14 of 14 Posts