Halloween Forum banner

Your cemetery?

• Non -existent :(

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Small and cozy:)

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Large and spooky :D

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • The most awesome house of the dead you have ever seen!

Votes: 4 12.9%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Reaper
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to add to my cemetery but instead of with more flat headstones I was wondering if anyone knew of a good material to carve some statue headstones out of? Like the figures or angels in a real life cemetery? I wanted them to be stonelike so I was thinking about glueing several pieces of foam together and working from that but I was wondering if anyone knew of a better way?

Typical Ghoul Next Door
Why not just go to a garden center and find a nice angel or cherub (or even a gargoyle) to paint up?

I have seen several great angels on pedestals that were repurposed with a little gray/black paint and water (water down the paint, run it into the recessed areas, and pour more water down to simulate aged stone).

I picked up a sweet little praying angel at Home Depot for $15. She is about 2 feet tall and I'm using the base to a birdbath I already own. She looks amazing now that I painted her.

I checked out a cement statuary center and they had all sorts of gargoyles, angels and other stuff that would look fantastic in a graveyard.

Reaper
Discussion Starter #4
Why not just go to a garden center and find a nice angel or cherub (or even a gargoyle) to paint up?

I have seen several great angels on pedestals that were repurposed with a little gray/black paint and water (water down the paint, run it into the recessed areas, and pour more water down to simulate aged stone).

I picked up a sweet little praying angel at Home Depot for $15. She is about 2 feet tall and I'm using the base to a birdbath I already own. She looks amazing now that I painted her.QUOTE]

That's a good idea :) I was just hoping to get something a bit bigger. Do they have statues bigger than 2'? I've never been to a cement statue place, i'll have to find one.

Reaper
Discussion Starter #5
Adding things with monster mud is a good idea, i'll definately have to try some of those too

Registered
Look for large dolls too that you can add wings to and monstermud into angels if you want something big!

Typical Ghoul Next Door
Different stores have all sizes of angels, I've seen some almost lifesize! You'll stand a better chance of finding a good one at a statuary store than places like Wally World or Lowes/Home Depot, but they have carried larger angels at one time or another...

or like the others said, monster mudding a doll or sculpting your own is always an option!

Mourning Rose Manor
I would check Target on clearance. They sometimes have some great items. Here's a pic of my "re-purposed" angel. My aunt gave me the angel and I bought the pedestal on clearance at Target and then re-painted them to match last year. As for carving goes, I'm too intimidated to attempt that. I want them to be beautiful and elegant. I would make a mess of it.

The Hobo Spider Assassin
I used a local concrete yard ornament place and since it was off season, I tried to work a deal on a couple of concrete columns (I'll post a picture after I get home). They would have cost me about $80 in the spring or summer, but got them both for $45. I'll use them in the graveyard to add some height and display a jack-o-latern and possibly an urn or another ornament. The taller of the two has a piece of pvc tube right through the middle and this will allow me to run electrical right through it to the point I want light or something like that.

The pieces are heavy and I'm not worried about them going anywhere fast or far! Added bonus there!:D

Registered
I would check Target on clearance. They sometimes have some great items. Here's a pic of my "re-purposed" angel. My aunt gave me the angel and I bought the pedestal on clearance at Target and then re-painted them to match last year. As for carving goes, I'm too intimidated to attempt that. I want them to be beautiful and elegant. I would make a mess of it.

Thanks for posting all your pics. It is so helpful to see what others have done and I liked seeing the various stages in your tombstones.

Reaper
Discussion Starter #14
Pandora - your statue looks great with the red light on it! Very spooky! It would be really cool if you filled the basket with skulls or something

1 - 14 of 14 Posts