Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

I'm Brian. I used to frequent this site back when it first started but stopped posting when my family got tired of setting up our Halloween display and I went on to help with my best friend's yard. But now I'm starting from scratch with my own empty yard and I'm moving fast! Hell, I'm taking on about 5 different projects at the moment.

This is the first set piece/prop I'm making for 2015. They stand at 8ft tall but collapse to 5ft or three separate sections for storage. I work at the Macy's Parade Studio and we know a thing or two about collapsable sets!! I'll be nailing on some luan and nice trimming in weeks to come (weather permitting... it's freezing in Jersey).

The frame is composed of 1x2s glued and screwed together with pocket holes and a base made of 2x4s that I had laying around. The luan will be supplied to me via my best friend. We hope to open a walkthrough haunt one day and I agreed to loan these pillars to the cause if somehow he pitched in. Thusly, my goal is to make them cheap but sturdy and durable enough for years of use. The trimmings are courtesy of the contractor who ditched the job he was doing on our house a few years back...as well as some tools, and some sculpted foam pieces.

The centerpiece of this gateway will be an animated, squirming, groudbreaker-like zombie atop one of the pillars or affixed to the archway. More on that as the project continues.

image5.jpg
Here she is folded up. I'll either keep a face open on each section or make them detachable once the luan is on.

image2.jpg
The Kreg Mini Pocket Hole Jig. Cost me $20 and I can't imagine working without it.

image3.jpg
The three sections.

image4.jpg
(This pic is rotated counterclockwise) The top piece fits on over the mid section like a loose glove. The trim I'll be installing will disguise any gaps. The mid section sits on top of the bottom and is anchored with 4 bolts.

Maybe not the most exciting WIP you've seen but I get excited about these things.
Any tips are welcome! Thanks for reading!

·
Hungry For Death
729 Posts
Wonderful Idea. Please post more! :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi ya'll.

I'm gonna make a long story short here. Basically, as I've stated in the first post, my best friend and I were looking to set up a full haunted walkthrough or trail. Turns out, WE FOUND IT! This coming weekend is the opening of what we're calling the 'Haunted Hollow.' It's set up at Wagner Farm in Warren NJ. The crew there does a Fall event called 'Brite Nites' which is a trail lit by jack-o-lanterns and pumpkin set pieces. That trail surrounds our Haunted Hollow walkthrough experience. A trail within a trail. It's so much cooler than I can describe here. We couldn't have asked for a better event to be a part of. We're so excited for this to finally open.

Anyway, these columns are no longer for my yard, as I'm loaning them to the haunt to help kick off our first year working with the farm. With all the other work I had to put into this attraction, this project was put on the back burner until I had the time to quickly finish them last minute. However, because they are rushed, I wasn't able to put all the trimmings, cracks and plaques I had planned on them nor could I weather them as much as I would have liked to. BUT, I am still very happy with the results.

I could write for hours here, but for your sake I'll cut to the chase. Here are the updates:

File_000.jpg

File_001-2.jpg

File_002.jpg

File_003.jpg

File_004.jpg

That's it. I'll have a shot of the final setup when I can take it on opening night. As for the collapsibility bit.. I completely forgot to take a shot of that. They're already secured in place at the haunt so I'll have that update after the season.`

Happy haunting!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts