Halloween Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,550 Posts
Both props are very well done. The obelisk is about as nice as I've seen. Wonderful weathering/aging. A real statement piece. The statue is fine IMO. It doesn't show disrespect to any faith and will add some whimsy to your set. While not a Catholic myself, (only by marriage as my wife is) most of the helpers we have on Halloween are, and none of them have ever been offended by anything we've done. This comes up throughout the year on this forum. You will never please everyone, you will, at some point, likely offend someone, unless you do a Disney themed display or use cute inflatables. Cemeteries can be dark places with broken monuments and stones, child graves (we've done these), etc.. Don't fret who you might offend. Plan your set and move forward with it. If anyone hones in on one prop and finds a reason to be offended, they've missed the point of what you're doing.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I really don't see any issue about the statue either. If it was the virgin Mary or something I might shudder a bit (A lot 😉).

I think the real answer is that since its presumably a decrepit cemetery if he roughs up the neck so it looks broken, maybe fill the whole so it doesn't look like a hollow resin statue, and then put the head on the ground in front of it this suddenly becomes a broken statue, not something someone could perceive as intentionally desecrated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Happy almost half-o-ween everyone! In order to keep my mind off things, I've been working on some props. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that we will have a normal Halloween, but even if not, that's not going to stop the yard haunt from going up.

Here is my latest prop, a cemetery obelisk. Much credit goes to Herman Secret and his amazing tutorial Here

View attachment 729801 View attachment 729802

Also, here's a work in progress statue that was "adjusted" for Halloween. He will go on a pedestal View attachment 729803 View attachment 729804
Awesome!
I live in a idiot state of California and nothing will stop me from having a great Halloween!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
If so, is there anything I can do to hide that it's st. Francis?
Removing the bird would help; that's part of St. Francis' iconography. I'd also take a grinder and wear down the rosary and crucifix at his waist. If you can, add an empty hood attached to the cassock -- maye even hide a red LED light inside the neck to illuminate the inside of the cowl.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Removing the bird would help; that's part of St. Francis' iconography. I'd also take a grinder and wear down the rosary and crucifix at his waist. If you can, add an empty hood attached to the cassock -- maye even hide a red LED light inside the neck to illuminate the inside of the cowl.
This is very, very helpful. Thank you!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Does anyone think that this will be offensive to some people? I'm not Catholic, so I'm not sure..

If so, is there anything I can do to hide that it's st. Francis?
As a Catholic I don't think it's too offensive. If you can remove or better hide the cross then it removes the biggest giveaway. Oner other thought would be to remove the bird that is also a dead giveaway it is St. Francis. ( that would also kill the humour.) If you did those two things he will just look like a middeival figure. If you leave it as is I seriously doubt anyone would give you any flack it's really up to you on how sensitive you want to be. I use several angles for the top part of several of my tombstones and I suppose some could find that offensive but both St. Francis and angles are common themes in cemeteries.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Love the obelisk, fabulous job on it. Not Catholic either but when I saw the statue I have to say my mouth kind of dropped. I don't think I would use it as is if it were me. Doing that to anyone's Saint is well...I just wouldn't. You did a nice job modifying it though.

If it were me and I could modify it, and don't know what you are able to do with it, I would try to remove what I assume is a rosary, or at least remove the cross portion (maybe cover it with moss?), and then try to modify his head so it doesn't look like St. Francis. If that doesn't look possible I would probably leave the head off and think of something else like bones, a heart, spider web with spiders or several snakes crawling out for example to put in the bowl. Maybe even light the inside of the bowl with some battery operated LED light.

Since he looks hollow can you add some uplighting inside his body? Might look cool then if you go the snake route to have snakes coming out of his neck??? think that would look more macabe and eliminates the religious aspect of it. In this day when customer service store people are shot for asking someone to wear a mask inside the store, I wouldn't push anyone's buttons on that. Could find more than your props vandalized.
Agree about just masking who the statue represented. I often seek out broken statuary to save money, but I suppose if it represented a religious or faith-based person, God/a God, etc, just mask it. Change it up. Hide certain identifiable characteristics. Good idea adding some uplighting (maybe blue or green) from inside the body. Snake, moss: excellent suggestions. I'm Catholic. At first I was like whoa, but then I was like LOL, I love it when statues hold their own heads. I also find costumed pregnant nuns and couples who arrive as priest and nun funny, male nuns, or demonic nuns (like in the horror movie) funny. But I think masking the true id is probably a smart idea. I guess the only thing that might weird me out would be Jesus or the Holy Mother with their heads whacked off in their arms. Most of it is all about "intent". In this day, anything can go viral online, even if your intended audience is 100% okay with it. CYA.:sneaky:

·
Registered
4 Posts
So a few years ago while walking in our neighborhood we came across a garage sale. In the free box was this statue. We were overjoyed to stubble across such a find! She has been along our walkway at Halloween every year. Nice to see someone with our taste in statuary.

·
Registered
48 Posts
A possible solution for the statue that might not offend anyone? Grind off the rosary and the fringe of hair and add horns, changing him into Satan ??

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
As a Catholic I don't think it's too offensive. If you can remove or better hide the cross then it removes the biggest giveaway. Oner other thought would be to remove the bird that is also a dead giveaway it is St. Francis. ( that would also kill the humour.) If you did those two things he will just look like a middeival figure. If you leave it as is I seriously doubt anyone would give you any flack it's really up to you on how sensitive you want to be. I use several angles for the top part of several of my tombstones and I suppose some could find that offensive but both St. Francis and angles are common themes in cemeteries.
Thanks. Beautiful stones!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Agree about just masking who the statue represented. I often seek out broken statuary to save money, but I suppose if it represented a religious or faith-based person, God/a God, etc, just mask it. Change it up. Hide certain identifiable characteristics. Good idea adding some uplighting (maybe blue or green) from inside the body. Snake, moss: excellent suggestions. I'm Catholic. At first I was like whoa, but then I was like LOL, I love it when statues hold their own heads. I also find costumed pregnant nuns and couples who arrive as priest and nun funny, male nuns, or demonic nuns (like in the horror movie) funny. But I think masking the true id is probably a smart idea. I guess the only thing that might weird me out would be Jesus or the Holy Mother with their heads whacked off in their arms. Most of it is all about "intent". In this day, anything can go viral online, even if your intended audience is 100% okay with it. CYA.:sneaky:
I appreciate your perspective. All of this is very helpful.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
So a few years ago while walking in our neighborhood we came across a garage sale. In the free box was this statue. We were overjoyed to stubble across such a find! She has been along our walkway at Halloween every year. Nice to see someone with our taste in statuary.
View attachment 730174
Love it!

Last year i bought a few statues for the cemetery, but I accidentally knocked one over. The head broke, and now its the look for each my statues. Kind of like a Bob Ross happy accident.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
If you grind the cross and bird off, you could point that out if someone complains when you explain your not trying to offend anyone, just have a little fun....And if that doesn't work, I'd get one of the 5 foot "angel of death" statues like I got...ZR

That is incredible - did you build this?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
That is incredible - did you build this?
No, I didn't build it....I bought several truck loads of props and camo netting from a pro haunt many years ago....I managed to get a few more truck loads a few years later that included the huge base pedestal it sets on....I don't have any pics of them together but it's very impressive for sure....Thanks...ZR

21 - 39 of 39 Posts