Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy almost half-o-ween everyone! In order to keep my mind off things, I've been working on some props. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that we will have a normal Halloween, but even if not, that's not going to stop the yard haunt from going up.

Here is my latest prop, a cemetery obelisk. Much credit goes to Herman Secret and his amazing tutorial Here

Also, here's a work in progress statue that was "adjusted" for Halloween. He will go on a pedestal

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,009 Posts
Ahhhh I love the obelisk (seriously - beautiful stone) but the modification for the statue is AWESOME. I adore it. It's cheeky, it's funny, it's unexpected and I actually laughed out loud - a real live LOL when I scrolled down and saw it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahhhh I love the obelisk (seriously - beautiful stone) but the modification for the statue is AWESOME. I adore it. It's cheeky, it's funny, it's unexpected and I actually laughed out loud - a real live LOL when I scrolled down and saw it.
Thank you very much!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Does anyone think that this will be offensive to some people? I'm not Catholic, so I'm not sure..

If so, is there anything I can do to hide that it's st. Francis?
I'm not Catholic either but I'm sure that any saint decapitated would upset someone - can't please all of the people all of the time as they say.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,009 Posts
Does anyone think that this will be offensive to some people? I'm not Catholic, so I'm not sure..

If so, is there anything I can do to hide that it's st. Francis?
Not catholic, but in my opinion okay for what it's worth. Suggest you don't make it bloody or gross it up - leave it as is. It is a statue and it just reminded me of Disney's Haunted Mansion type of spooky funny - he lost his head, so he has to carry it around in his bowl. It's macabre but still amusing.

At most, I could see adding a small bird's nest to the neck hole and adding a fake real bird to it. :)

·
Registered
514 Posts
I know it's probably too much to expect but it would just be nice if there could be one day where everyone could just check all of their hang ups / triggers / political correctness/ whatever you want to call it and not judge that peoples motives come from a bad place ........just have a laugh ....have fun ....laugh for goodness sake!

·
Registered
13,832 Posts
Love the obelisk, fabulous job on it. Not Catholic either but when I saw the statue I have to say my mouth kind of dropped. I don't think I would use it as is if it were me. Doing that to anyone's Saint is well...I just wouldn't. You did a nice job modifying it though.

If it were me and I could modify it, and don't know what you are able to do with it, I would try to remove what I assume is a rosary, or at least remove the cross portion (maybe cover it with moss?), and then try to modify his head so it doesn't look like St. Francis. If that doesn't look possible I would probably leave the head off and think of something else like bones, a heart, spider web with spiders or several snakes crawling out for example to put in the bowl. Maybe even light the inside of the bowl with some battery operated LED light.

Since he looks hollow can you add some uplighting inside his body? Might look cool then if you go the snake route to have snakes coming out of his neck??? think that would look more macabe and eliminates the religious aspect of it. In this day when customer service store people are shot for asking someone to wear a mask inside the store, I wouldn't push anyone's buttons on that. Could find more than your props vandalized.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know it's probably too much to expect but it would just be nice if there could be one day where everyone could just check all of their hang ups / triggers / political correctness/ whatever you want to call it and not judge that peoples motives come from a bad place ........just have a laugh ....have fun ....laugh for goodness sake!
I agree, but we all know that not everyone in this world is as reasonable.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Love the obelisk, fabulous job on it. Not Catholic either but when I saw the statue I have to say my mouth kind of dropped. I don't think I would use it as is if it were me. Doing that to anyone's Saint is well...I just wouldn't. You did a nice job modifying it though.

If it were me and I could modify it, and don't know what you are able to do with it, I would try to remove what I assume is a rosary, or at least remove the cross portion (maybe cover it with moss?), and then try to modify his head so it doesn't look like St. Francis. If that doesn't look possible I would probably leave the head off and think of something else like bones, a heart, spider web with spiders or several snakes crawling out for example to put in the bowl. Maybe even light the inside of the bowl with some battery operated LED light.

Since he looks hollow can you add some uplighting inside his body? Might look cool then if you go the snake route to have snakes coming out of his neck??? think that would look more macabe and eliminates the religious aspect of it. In this day when customer service store people are shot for asking someone to wear a mask inside the store, I wouldn't push anyone's buttons on that. Could find more than your props vandalized.
Thanks for your thoughts. This is exactly my concern. I want my yard to be non-controversial, and i don't want to offend my neighbors. I'll try and modify it to the best I can to hide that it's st Francis.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts