Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Halloween Elitist
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping we can dedicate this thread to all things cemetery that includes layouts, strategies, lighting, etc....
I'll start it out, my intent is to eventually transition to all resin or very nice foam headstones as the ones always featured here, I found this 27 inch Angel statue, would you guys recommend to just set it on the ground or make some kind of base and set it on top?
20140222_135729-1-1.jpg

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,114 Posts
I found this 27 inch Angel statue, would you guys recommend to just set it on the ground or make some kind of base and set it on top? View attachment 192147
First of all, she's a great find, and wonderful just as she is.....however, I do agree with what seems to be the consensus thus far; a base would likely enhance things quite a bit.

I'd go so far as to suggest that maybe a base might provide the opportunity to install on-board lighting (mini-spot, for example), or even permanently affix some LED candles around her. A base, some moss, and some installed lighting might expand on the dimensional quality she already provides, and really make something of a centerpiece out of it.

Regardless, she's great!
:)

·
Halloween Elitist
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the suggestion of a base, defensenator, like the idea of built in lighting, making it the centerpiece sounds awesome, if I go that route then the base would have to be at least 3 feet high

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,489 Posts
A low foam base would work well with this. Here's one I made for a small plaster garden column topped by an angel statue.

I you want something more imposing, you could construct a foam "box". The foam piece is over three feet tall and holds this latex reaper bust.

Here's a Big Lot's angel I bought a few years back. This is actually a wooden crate from Michael's skinned in one inch foam and set on a foam base with an added top.

another example

random lighting pic

hope this helps

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,114 Posts
The 'Silas Finch' pedestal style photo that jdubbya provided up there ^ was kind of the style I was imagining would work well for her. Seems like it would offer plenty of room for 'inner workings' if you opted to go that route.

I also envisioned the whole thing aged and timeworn with a layer of moss....something like this:

Moss Angel.jpg

Not that it's exactly on point, but another one I've had filed away is the image below. It just seems like it is a perfect opportunity to add lights, fog and other built-in spookiness!

Open Tomb.jpg

I just imagine a slow, pulsing green light spilling out from inside, and a chilled fog rolling out from the collapsed corner....:eek:

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,489 Posts
Here is a stone from Uruk Hai's blackstone Cemetery. It uses a statue very similar to yours so you can get an idea of scale and some possible details. The first one shows a Michael's crate skinned in foam. These crates are great for supporting larger, heavier stautes.

Hector's stones are among the best out there. Hope he doesn't mind me posting these.

·
Halloween Elitist
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
where did you find the angel statue
found it at a flea market, funny story, I saw it from a distance and immediately made a bee line for it, asked the guy how much and he said $20. I had no problem paying 20 but just decided to try and low ball him but didn't get a chance, he said give me 18 so I kind of stalled but then this older guy swoops in and asked for the price, I thought enough fooling around and took out a $20 and paid him the $18 he quoted me...it actually still had the box, retails for $79.99 at Kmart..27 inch Angel

·
Halloween Elitist
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
where did you find the angel statue
found it at a flea market, funny story, I saw it from a distance and immediately made a bee line for it, asked the guy how much and he said $20. I had no problem paying 20 but just decided to try and low ball him but didn't get a chance, he said give me 18 so I kind of stalled but then this older guy swoops in and asked for the price, I thought enough fooling around and took out a $20 and paid him the $18 he quoted me...it actually still had the box, retails for $79.99 at Kmart..27 inch Angel

·
Registered
607 Posts
Great thread! Lovely angel Scorpion!

jdubbya your cemetery lighting is beautiful, and so are your creations.

I am running the haunted house at my kids' elementary school this year. We've been upgraded to the cafeteria, giving us way more options and space than we have ever had. This means our cemetery will actually be up on a stage, as well as part of it down in the ground level. What sort of ideas do you have for a cemetery that is "risen" above your natural view point? I was thinking it would be awesome to have one of those huge, imposing angel of death creatures, all in white with spanning wings overseeing the cemetery itself! I am open to suggestions and tips :)

Also- what type of props do you all use, besides tombstones? Are you into having strictly ghosts dressed in white... or do you mix in ground breakers and zombies? I thought since we have two areas, I may keep ground breakers down below, and try to focus on "ghostly apparitions" in the upper cemetery..... Super excited to figure it all out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wow jdubbya, beautiful displsay, and the fallen leaves give it that extra pizazz... :D

Love the 'Witch - Burned' stones too, but your fence... looks like a PVC and 1x2 setup, but where did you get the finnials? They look like real cast metal, and I counted about 50 posts @$3 each....

1 - 20 of 48 Posts