Halloween Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'd love to make something like that for my driveway, but with no place to store it I can't. Had a hard enough time figuring out where to stash 6 8ft fence panels and a 7x8ft gate.
I made mine to flat pack - each is four separate panels that bolt together. I have seams this way, but in the dark they aren't to noticeable and they disassemble to slide into my crawlspace for storage.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Went for solid wood for mine with a good exterior paint. I have yet to properly age them, but they're looking pretty great so far. Mostly just 2x3s, 2x2s, 1x2s and some plywood. Gates are 1x2s and PVC with plastic finials from KingMetals. I have yet to bring them out to the driveway to see just how massive they are, but perhaps I'll do that when I get home from work this afternoon.

Thanks for the advice for weighting them, we do get some wind where I am but I'm too concerned yet. I was more concerned with the foam panels on my garage door that I once found two blocks over!

Pillars are about 6x5 feet tall, and the gate will reach up to 7 ft at its tallest once attached. So far covered I've just covered them with a good texture-added exterior paint.

pillars.jpg

·
Registered
696 Posts
Yes that one looks great! I might build some out of wood. Mine were built out of cardboard boxes I got for free and
leftover paint I had. Also added 1 inch foam on the outside and skulls on top. They stand about 4 feet tall.
The only downside if it rains then they will get soggy. We had 78 degrees and sunny last week so it all went well.

IMG_20160813_192624796.jpg

·
Registered
72 Posts
Halloween went well and I received a lot of compliments on the pillars! One guy asked "Added some concrete work this year, huh?" So, I'd say all in all, mission accomplished! I decided to light them from below as well as adding jack-o-lanterns made from oversized funkins to the top.

We had some rocky weather, with some days winds gusting to over 40 mph, but they were able to withstand 20mph winds easily, without additional weighting. I didn't take a chance on days with winds gusting over 20mph.

They were a lot of work, but overall a great addition to this year's haunt. Here's a few photos I snapped, what do you guys think?

IMG_20161017_075509.jpg
#2.jpg
#1.JPG

21 - 30 of 30 Posts