Halloween Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Maybe I will post a tutorial if enough haunters are interested, but happy to say these bit**es are finally done. Been working on them for nearly two years, off and on. Why did they take so long?
We have projects that are like that. We just keep working on them knowing that one day they'll be finished, but not before a few expletives have been spoken about them. You did a great job though. The down-lighting on the pillars is a really nice touch. I don't think I've seen anyone who's taken that approach, but it really works well. Congrats on your finishing the project. All in all, I think it was worth the two years invested in it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
We have projects that are like that. We just keep working on them knowing that one day they'll be finished, but not before a few expletives have been spoken about them. You did a great job though. The down-lighting on the pillars is a really nice touch. I don't think I've seen anyone who's taken that approach, but it really works well. Congrats on your finishing the project. All in all, I think it was worth the two years invested in it.
I actually debated a bit on the down lighting and may still take them out. Just wanted something to set them off a bit, but I have a feeling some low green floods on the ground nearby facing up might be better...will see this weekend!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Joker, the.brick panels come in sheets at HD or Lowe's. I plan to brush some Drylok or Polycrylic on them before the go out. Hopefully that will keep em dry enough.
I just used these same brick paneling on my columns. I had to rebuild them after the weather knocked one of them over last year and smashed the front. I'm just now getting ready to paint them. My strategy will be to spray the brick area with some clear flex seal for waterproofing them. That way the color of the brick stays the same but they're protected.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I actually debated a bit on the down lighting and may still take them out. Just wanted something to set them off a bit, but I have a feeling some low green floods on the ground nearby facing up might be better...will see this weekend!
Another option is to use a contrasting up-lighting to accent your down-lighting. Something like a blue flood light pointing upward will blend with the green coming down and make all manner of weird shadows (at least in theory). You've created a very fun lighting source. Lighting from multiple angles isn't forbidden. :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Another option is to use a contrasting up-lighting to accent your down-lighting. Something like a blue flood light pointing upward will blend with the green coming down and make all manner of weird shadows (at least in theory). You've created a very fun lighting source. Lighting from multiple angles isn't forbidden. :)
Hmmm, yes thanks for that thought...hadn't crossed my mind. Will do some experimenting. Originally I was also planning to have fog flowing out from under the tops, but that's been back-burnered for the time being...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Those are exceptional! Fantastic level of detail and the lights are a really cool addition. Just looking at the pictures, you can tell a lot of work and effort went into making them. Making them to match your house exterior really polishes everything off. Well done!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts